Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tavaar - 63rd Edition

She hesitated, but she knew she would tell him. He did, too. It was in his voice.

“I’m afraid of me,” she said, softly.


“That’s not a very clear answer, Tavaar. Tell me.”


He was using her name freely. That was how he had always got her to open up. He knew it gave her strength. Did he also know it put her under his spell?


“I – I still love you, Khaiu. I can’t put you out of my mind. Thoughts of us fill my mind. It’s like when I offered myself to Shello. I just want to lay with you. I – I’m so terrible.”


As was usual in their heartfelt talks, Tavaar had begun by stating the worst. So there it was. He knew what she wanted. All he had to do was say yes and they could make their baby and fulfill Gwihnna’s premonition. She knew it was wrong, but right now that was exactly what she wanted him to do. Khaiu was silent. If he was dismayed, or revolted, he didn’t show it. Neither did he appear aroused. He just continued to toss acorns. Finally, he spoke.


“You’ve offered yourself to Shello? When did you do that? You’ve avoided being with either of us alone until tonight.”


Tavaar rolled her eyes. Khaiu was brilliant, but sometimes he could be so dense.


“Not now, you chicken brain. Before I was married. Before he was married, in fact.”


“Oh! I see. Okay. That makes sense.”


“Do you remember now?”


“Remember? How could I remember? I never knew. This is the first I heard of it.”


Tavaar was startled. “You didn’t know? Shello – never told you?”


“Why would he tell me that?”


“Well, you’re brothers. You’re very close. Sashwa and I tell each other everything, and we’re not even sisters.”


Khaiu smiled. “We’re close. Probably closer than any two I know, save you and Sashwa. We’re not as close as that, though. There have always been things we didn’t tell each other. I didn’t tell him you asked to court me. It does not surprise me he did not tell me of your offer. I expect he has told Klarissa, though.”


“He didn’t have to. She caught us.”


Khaiu’s eyes widened and he started to chuckle.


“It wasn’t funny at the time,” she chided.


“I suppose not. Forgive me.”


She slumped back against the tree and sighed.
“So what do we do now?”

“Do? Well, it is obvious, isn’t it? We go to your hut and consummate our desires. We laugh. We play. We do all that comes into our heads. And when we’re done, I bring Shello up and you can have him, as well.”


“Don’t mock me! I don’t think it’s funny.”


“Neither do I.”


“Then stop insulting me. I tell you I’m afraid I want to lay with you, and you make a big joke of it. How do you think that makes me feel?”


“Perhaps the same way I feel about your just assuming I will be unfaithful to Tura at my first chance to be with you.”


Silence.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors