Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tavaar - 51st Edition

“If I may, General?” asked Seratahn. Sampka nodded and set about to reading the scroll. “Why do you insist these warriors were not captured?”

“They surrendered. In my mind, that is very different.”


“I see. So you did not take the markers?”


Tavaar blushed. She had forgotten about the markers. They still hung by a leather tie around her neck inside her tunic. She pulled them out, to Seratahn’s amusement, and to chortling from her own warriors, and presented them to Seratahn. Seratahn examined them carefully, then handed them back to an aide.


“How did you know your team was discovered?” Seratahn asked.


“I was able to see one of the two clearly. As it turned out, it was Shello I saw. He signaled to Khaiu and then waited. I could not see Khaiu, but I did see Shello react to a signal and fade back the way he had come. Since he was leaving, I could only assume we had been seen. This was confirmed in my mind when I saw both brothers meet. Khaiu pointed right at us.”


“And you then did what?”


“I walked into the clearing where I could be seen by all and waited.”


“Waited? Waited for what?”


“For them to come to me.”


“And why would they do that when they were tasked with reaching West Stop? To meet with you would mean certain capture.”


“No, it wouldn’t. I signaled for my team to remain where they were. I was alone. According to the rules of testing, I needed at least two others to make a successful capture – without engaging in actual battle, that is.”


“And did you intend to battle them?”


“No. I just – wanted to talk with them. It had been so long since I had seen either.”


“And you assumed they shared this feeling?”


“We were – friends. I hoped.”


“Hoped? It sounds to me as if you were counting on it. You used yourself as bait to draw them back, knowing they would be unable to resist.”


“It was not a ploy, Commander.”


Seratahn smiled.
“Do not discredit your instincts, Tavaar. Neither discredit your ability to think quickly and use your knowledge of the enemy to your advantage. Let me tell you how I see this. You nearly had them, but they were slipping away. So you showed yourself, knowing they would come to you. Khaiu and Shello are not only overly proud and confident of their abilities, they are also extremely loyal friends. And they are males. You knew this. You counted on it. Your intent was to draw them to you. Then you had the option of either trying to get your team to surround them, or you could take hold of one, knowing the other would not leave without his brother. And while it is probably true you could not win a battle one against two – at least, not these two – you did not need to win. You only needed to delay. For once you team saw battle begin they would come to your aid. They would arrive in time to capture Khaiu and Shello, but you would be considered slain.”

Tavaar stood without speaking. Seratahn was shrewd. From the corner of her eye, Tavaar saw Khaiu nod approvingly.

“You were willing to give up your command in order to capture them, weren’t you?” Seratahn asked. “Being ‘slain’, you would relinquish your authority to your second in command until the High Command arrived to reinstate you – if you were to be reinstated at all. You took a big risk. The only thing that spared you the loss of your command was, of all things, Khaiu and Shello. They gave up, and that you had not expected. You defeated their plan. They returned the favor by not allowing you to implement yours. The bonds of love and friendship are hard to fathom, are they not?”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors