Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tavaar - 43rd Edition

“You were worried about me?” Tavaar asked, unable to hide her feelings.

“Why do you think we chose here and now to test?” asked Khaiu.


Tavaar felt confused. “You were worried about me? I thought you meant…”


“I did,” said Shello. “You have studied long enough with us to know our minds. Guessing our plan would be easy for you. But we have been worried about you.”


“Why?”


“We – hear things – from various warriors.”


Tavaar felt her face flush, though with embarrassment or annoyance she wasn’t sure. But they seemed to be in danger of discussing things she would prefer to avoid. So, choosing not to be angry, she tried to change the subject.


“I also hear things – about you two,” she said, teasingly. The brothers looked at her with an ‘oh?’ expression. She couldn’t help but laugh. “It is my understanding that you two were in some kind of brawl in Gahrem not long ago. Supposedly, you were brought before the Council and punished.”


“You have heard correctly,” said Khaiu.


“You two aren’t normally so brutish. What were you fighting about?”


“Something important,” said Shello.

“I bet. Tell me.”

“We didn’t even tell the Council,” said Khaiu.


Tavaar was impressed. “You defied the Council? No wonder you were punished. What were you given?”


“We were demoted,” said Khaiu.


Tavaar’s expectant smile faded. “I’m sorry. I – know what that means to you.”


“It was worth it,” said Shello.


“Why? What were you fighting about?”


“If we refused to tell the Council, what makes you think we will tell you?” asked Khaiu.


Tavaar looked into Khaiu’s eyes. “Because it is me asking now, not the Council. Will you say no to me again?”


Khaiu smiled. “No. I guess not. It took all my strength to do it the first time. You have no idea how hard it was for me to not chase you down and beg you to let me reconsider.”


Tavaar looked at Khaiu with astonishment. In all the years she had suffered since he had turned down her offer of courtship, it had not occurred to her that he suffered, too. Khaiu’s smile was sad, but his eyes were soft and gentle. She wanted to say something, but nothing occurred to her.


“So, why did you fight?” she asked again.


“Someone said something we didn’t like,” said Shello.


“Who?”


“Melvehnit.”


“Yes, I know of him. He often has a foul mouth.”


“Well, he was being especially foul,” said Shello.


“What did he say?”


“He was telling lies.”


“I can believe that. Why are you avoiding my question?”


There was a moment’s pause. Then Khaiu spoke.


“He was telling lies about you.”


“Oh. I think I can guess what he was saying. I won’t lay with my husband, but am laying with everyone else? I’m with child by Kelenbah. Is that what he was saying?”


“Yes.”


She fell back to a sitting position on the rock behind her. She had hoped herself above caring what was said, but it wasn’t true. It hurt to know those who meant most to her were hearing the stories of wickedness.


“That’s why you fought?” she asked.


“I will not sit by and listen to lies about you, Darling,” said Shello. “I don’t care what it costs me.”


“Really?” said Tavaar. She didn’t entirely believe him, but she felt upheld by his loyalty. “And what about Klarissa? I doubt she was overly pleased to learn you were fighting for me. What did she have to say about it?”


“Not a lot.”


“Not a lot? How so?”


“It hurt her to talk for about a week. You see, she was kicked in the mouth accidentally during the fight.”


“Trying to pull you out?”


“No. She was beating on Melvehnit’s wife. And when the two of them crashed to the floor they both got kicked. That didn’t stop her, though. She taught them better use of language.”


“Klarissa – fought for me?”


Shello smiled. “You have more friends than you know, Darling. Klarissa won’t let them lie about you either.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors