Monday, April 13, 2009

Tavaar - 49th Edition

Ahzbah gave her a keen look. “Why am I not a lieutenant?”

“For the same reason Sashwa and I aren’t: Kelenbah refused to promote us. Mostly, it was me, I guess. But you two are my friends.”


“But why didn’t you promote me? I deserve it. You know I do.”


“Of course you do, but I have no authority to promote. You know that.”


“You promoted Sashwa.”


“Not really.”


“You made her Chief Scout.”


“Not really. I mean, that’s what I call her, but she really isn’t. Her pay certainly isn’t affected. Nor is mine, for that matter.”


“But she has authority.”


“Yes. She does.”


“So why wasn’t I given authority? You filled three positions. I’m your friend, too.”


“Ahzbah, it wasn’t about friendship. I didn’t make my choices based on friendship.”


“That’s obvious. But I’m as good a warrior as those you chose. In fact, I think I’m better.”


“I’m kind of inclined to agree with you.”


“Then why not pick me?”


Tavaar sighed and paused to collect her thoughts.


“Your name did come up. I considered you. I chose Yahrleen because there was no question about her.”


“But there was about me?”


“Shut up and listen! Yes, there was. You see, Nayvahl is a real officer.”


“He is also loyal to Kelenbah.”


“No. I disagree. Nayvahl supported Kelenbah, but his loyalty is to the company – regardless of who commands. Sashwa is the logical choice to act as Chief Scout. She is loyal to me. That left two positions. One I filled with Yahrleen. I don’t think she has made up her mind. Perhaps that was why there was no dissention about her. The final choice was between you and Alobahr.”


“And you choice Alobahr. Tavaar, he doesn’t even like you.”


“Don’t you understand? This isn’t about who likes me. That’s not how these decisions are made.”


“That’s how Kelenbah decided.”


“And look what he did to the company!”


“Are you saying I couldn’t do a good job?”


“No! No. that is not what I’m saying. What I’m trying to say is that a commander, or leader, if you will, must think of everyone: not just those who like her. With the three I had chosen, three of the four groups were covered: those who liked me; those who weren’t sure; and those who didn’t care. But the fourth group, those who do not like me, they had no voice.”


“Do they need one?”


“Yes. At least, I think they do. With Alobahr to go to, they have their voice. They won’t come to you, Ahzbah. Neither will they speak to Sashwa. They might speak to Yahrleen, but I think not. She may not have made up her mind, but neither is she sympathetic to grumbling. They tried Nayvahl and he stepped on them for it. So, I chose Alobahr.” She sighed. “Look Ahzbah, if it is any consolation, I am sure you will be made a lieutenant when the new captain arrives and we are brought to full strength. In the meantime, this is the way it is. I can sure use your help.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors