Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tavaar - 52nd Edition

“I have only one question regarding your final plan, Tavaar, and that is, when did you conceive of it? The events, as I understand them, do not indicate a spontaneous act. Was this a spur of the moment decision?”

“No, Commander, it was not. Our wait was long enough that I was able to consider alternatives. I deemed this to be the best chance of success.”


“I believe it would have worked,” said Seratahn. Then she smiled. “But I am glad there was a better way you had not considered. It would have been a shame for you to have been deprived of the experience of commanding after a victory.”


“Victory, Commander? But…”


“They were defeated the moment they came to you,” said Seratahn. “I believe that in my heart. I therefore declare, as Chief Overseer of the test, that Khaiu and Shello failed to defeat this company in the test. As payment for their failure, I decree they must buy at least three mugs of ale for each member of the victorious company from Gahrem.”


A loud cheer went up around Tavaar. She grimly smiled, knowing the cheer was not just for the free ale they were due, but because it was official now: they had defeated the mighty Khaiu and Shello in a war game. That had never been done before. (And might not again, thought Tavaar.)

Khaiu and Shello made a pretense of dismay, but it was hardly believable. They would probably wind up buying a large keg, or maybe two, of ale, but they were hardly poor. When things quieted again, Sampka spoke again. Instantly, all became quiet.

“I have read over your recommendations,” he said, solemnly. “I am curious about a couple of things. If I may be permitted, I should like to address them now, instead of privately later.”


“Do as seems wise to you, General,” said Tavaar.


Generally, written reports were discussed privately, although they did not have to be. But it was understood that the company commander was referencing individual behavior of the warriors. Praise, and especially criticism, of this sort was best done quietly. But it didn’t have to be.


“Thank you. I note you have signed your report, ‘sub-commander’. Sub-commander is a village rank, not a field rank. How do you come to use it?”


“When Captain Kelenbah placed me in command, he did not see fit to promote me. The company was at a loss in how to address me. I originally suggested ‘Lady”, but my second in command pointed out this failed to distinguish me from not only my acting Chief Scout, but any other female warrior. He therefore suggested, ‘sub-commander’.”


“And you feel no sense of degradation being so addressed?” asked Muflin, speaking for the first time.


Tavaar looked at him. Muflin clearly considered it to be insulting.


“Not when it is my company who addresses me,” she said.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors