Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tavaar - 30th Edition

Tavaar is now beginning to include Sashwa and Wheylin in on her plan. This passage is a continuation of yesterday's. Sashwa speaking to Tavaar.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

“What made you change your mind? Gwihnna’s advances?”

“Partly.”

“What else?”

“You!”

“Me?”

“Yes, you. You’re always telling me how much fun you’re having. I finally had to have some of my own.”

Sashwa began laughing.

“What’s funny?” asked Tavaar.

“Gwihnna. Why do you think they haven’t tried to keep us apart? Gwihnna knows I tell you everything. She was hoping you would get worked up. Only she thought you would go to Kelenbah. It never occurred to her you would choose Wheylin. Hmm. Now that I think of it, the little ditz owes me big time.”

Tavaar smiled wickedly. “Are you sure you sure you don’t want an evening with him?”

“Stop that! I haven’t had my breakfast. So, are you ready to tell me what else is going on?”

“What makes you think something else is going on?”

Sashwa gave another ‘don’t feign ignorance with me’ look. “Did it really take you all day to convince Bolar to make you real potion instead of tea? What are you planning, and can I help?”

Tavaar smiled at her friend’s quick study. It was not easy for her to hide anything from Sashwa, and seldom did she bother to try. So she told her her original reason for going and how Bolar disliked the plan.

“I could have told you that,” said Sashwa. “You didn’t trust me?”

Tavaar looked apologetically at her friend. “I just figured you would say that,” she said.

“Because I want to keep you with me? Fair enough. But, Darling, you are more important to me than just that. Remember that.”

“I will. I’m sorry.”

Sashwa shrugged. “Go on. So you suggest having Wheylin’s baby in order to get away. Bolar’s response is to say no to that and tells you to just take the real drink. What else?”

Tavaar blushed. “Well, that wasn’t exactly what happened,”

Sashwa picked up on this immediately. “What did you do?”

Tavaar laughed before answering with a resigned sigh. “I asked him to be the father of my child.”

Sashwa's eyes were wide and her mouth hung open before she could speak.

“You what? Tavaar, you are completely and without doubt the most wanton girl I know. By the King, Darling, he must be a hundred years older than you.”

“I know. That’s what he said. He turned me down flat.”

“Humph. Not only is he old, but he’s out of his mind, too. Why would you ask him that? I mean, I know you two love each other, but not like that. Do you?”

Tavaar shrugged. She appreciated Sashwa’s indirect compliment. The truth was she would have willingly gone through with it.

“I was frightened by Gwihnna’s premonition. If I was going to be unfaithful, I would rather it was with someone I loved rather than…”

“Kelenbah. Or someone you just met, or didn’t really love at all?”

“Yes.”

“Well, don’t worry, Darling. You won’t have a child with someone like that.”

“So you agree with Bolar? You think Gwihnna lied?”

“What?”

“Bolar said Gwihnna only said she had a premonition to make me believe I was destined to have Kelenbah’s child.”

“But as you told it to me, Gwihnna’s premonition did not indicate Kelenbah. In fact, he was shadowed and she could not identify him at all.”

“Yes. What you saying, Sashwa?”

“Well, it just seems if she were going to bother to lie, she would go the whole way with it and tell you it was Kelenbah.”

Tavaar suddenly felt afraid again. “Are you saying the premonition was real? Sometimes you can tell, can’t you? I’ve always thought so. That’s why I believed. When I told you, you didn’t say it wasn’t. It’s true, isn’t it?”

Sashwa put her arm around Tavaar’s shoulders. “Hey, hey, hey. Calm yourself. Yes, I can tell. Sometimes. I don’t always know.”

“But this time…”

“This time I was just pointing out a confusing point. I was not stating whether I believed it or not. As you said yourself, I never told you. I didn’t think I needed to. You never asked. But I can see you are very upset about this, aren’t you?”

“It scares me, Sashwa. I don’t want to know that I’m going to do that.”

“I understand.”

Tavaar turned to Sashwa. “So are you going to tell me that it’s true? I’m asking.”

Sashwa looked long into Tavaar’s eyes. So many times she had gone there to find comfort and strength. She was back again.

“No, Darling. I am not going to tell you that. Better?”

Tavaar relaxed and sank into Sashwa’s arms and sighed. “Yes. I’m better.”

Sashwa kissed the top of her head.

“And understand, Darling: you’re the best.” She let Tavaar collect herself before going on. “Well, that must have been some conversation. I wish I had been there.”

“I’m glad you weren’t.”

“Yeah. I’m sure. Just out of curiosity, why didn’t you think of Shello?”

Tavaar hesitated. “I did think of him.” Tavaar hung her head. “I tried once. Remember?”

“I remember. You said Klarissa caught you. So, your pride wouldn’t let you try again? What if he came to you?”

“I used to think I would. But after last night I don’t anymore. He’s out of my system now.”

“Yeah, right.”

“He is!”

“I said I agreed.”

“You didn’t sound like you meant it. What? Why are you laughing?”

“I love the way you pout.”

“I’m not pouting!”

“No, of course not. What about Khaiu?”

A pause. “What about him?”

“That’s what I thought. Well, I shouldn't worry, Darling. I’m confident you’ll get him out of your system, just like you did Shello.”

“I’m going to club you in a moment!”

“Okay, okay. Don’t get mad. So, after Bolar gave himself a potion to restart his heart, he told you that you didn’t need a child?”

Tavaar chuckled. “Yeah. I suppose it was a shock to him. Yes. That was when we talked about what I can do.”

“So what’s the rest of the plan? And how can I help?”

“Well, it turns out everyone in Gahrem has some idea of what is going on out here, but no one will say it out loud. Even Bolar sounds afraid.”

“Why? They’re the only ones who can put a stop to it.”

“You want them to?”

“The marrieds, yes. They have their spouses. Let them stick with them and leave us singles alone.”

“Well, if that happens, you won’t have me anymore,” said Tavaar.

Sashwa took on the characteristics of a cat about to pounce. “Well, we’ll just have to make an exception then.”

“No, no! Sashwa, don’t!”

Sashwa relaxed. “What’s the matter? Afraid I was going to tickle you?”

“Shh! Yes. I don’t want anyone else to know. They don’t, do they?”

“No. I wouldn’t do that to you, Darling. I haven’t told anyone. Not even Wheylin. But I expect he’s going to find out on his own now.”

“I have to trust you, I guess.”

“And you can. If they knew, do you think they would have left you alone?”

“I guess not.”

“Certainly not. So why won’t anyone do anything?”

“Remember I told you Gwihnna caught some married women with Kelenbah, and maybe others?”

“Yes. You said she intervened before they actually lay with each other. Most considerate of her.”

“Truly. Well, Bolar knows who they are. They confessed to him. He wouldn’t give me their names, but they are daughters and granddaughters of some very important people. Revealing even what they did do might split the village, and even the family. Bolar doesn’t want to risk that. No one does.”

“For good reason. It doesn’t do to make powerful people mad at you.”

“That’s what Bolar says.”

“It isn’t hard to guess who they must be, though, is it?”

“No. Prim and proper and filled with snobbish morality.”

“And yet I always thought they didn’t quite wear it well. They always seemed a bit furtive.”

“Now we know why.”

“So how does knowing this help you? You’re being hit at every turn.”

“You’re thinking I’m going to give in then?”

“With this lot? Not a chance. Kelenbah will be Head-of-Family before he lays with you. And that goes for everyone else in this company, too – except Wheylin and me.”

“Will you stop that!”

“Oh, you can tease me about it, but I can’t tease you? You know what you are? You’re a temptress. You’re leading me on.”

“Leading you on? I’m constantly fighting you off.”

Sashwa laughed. “Now you stop. You love the jests, and you know it.”

Tavaar smiled, coyly. “Well, believe it or not, but Bolar thinks I’m the one who can finally put an end to this.”

“Not by having Kelenbah’s child, I hope?”

“No. That would be disgusting. I would rather lay with you.”

“Anytime, Darling.”

“Shut up.”

More laughter. “So, how are you supposed to stop it without creating a big family fight?”

“By remembering I’m in charge.”

“But you’re not even a lieutenant. Kelenbah’s a cap – oh!”

Tavaar smiled. “Yes. Despite all they are doing, and all they have done, the males are still remembering their place.”

Sashwa nodded. “Actually, it is the reason it continues. The males do as they are told, and no more than they are allowed.”

“Of course the males tempt and suggest,” said Tavaar. “But so far, none have gone further without permission.”

“So far.”

“So far.”

“In other words, Mehngen isn’t here – yet.”

“Not yet.”

“And now I see where I come in.”

“You’re willing then?”

“Oh, Darling, yes! To see you in form again? I’m looking forward to it. It might be dangerous, though. We should probably include Ahzbah and a few others. I’m not always around, you know.”

“I know. It’s a two-edged sword.”

“Oh, thank you much.”

“There is another problem, though.”

“What’s that?”

“I haven’t gone over it with Wheylin. He didn’t want to talk about it last night. He just wanted to – well, we were having fun.”

“Spare the details. You’re afraid he won’t like it?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t think he’ll put up too much fuss. After all, he adores you about as much as me. But, you know you’re going to have keep repeats of last night to a minimum? Otherwise, your secret won’t stay secret.”

Tavaar frowned. She didn’t like that. Wheylin had a lot to give, and she was already looking forward to repeating the act.

“Will it anyway?” she asked. “I mean my last one wasn’t exactly a secret, was it? Gwihnna guessed in the first five days.”

“True. But one look at Wheylin’s face told the whole story.”

“Well, he looks happy now.”

“He ought to,” said Sashwa. “Four times? Well, he’s going to have to take that stupid, self-satisfied grin off his face before the others guess what it is he’s smiling about.”

“It looks like some may already have noticed.”

“Hmm. We’ll have to act quickly. Leave this to me.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Tell the little ditz what he owes me and demand payment. When he looks at you, look pouty and shake your head no.”

“I don’t pout!”

“Do it!”

“All right. Seems a shame to make him unhappy again.”

“You’ll make it up to him, I’m sure.”

Sashwa walked over to where Wheylin sat talking with Ahzbah. Tavaar watched Ahzbah walk away. Sashwa then sat down and began speaking in hushed tones. Tavaar noticed others speak to Ahzbah and then appear to be interested in Sashwa’s conversation. Tavaar noticed glances in her direction. She pretended to be unconcerned, though her cheeks flushed. Finally, she glanced up and saw Sashwa waving at her. Tavaar took notice and then saw Sashwa indicate Wheylin. She remembered Sashwa’s instructions, angry at the parting reference, and shook her head. Wheylin looked downcast. He set down his plate, stood, and walked away. An amused rumbling of indistinct voices echoed across the camp. Sashwa came back to where Tavaar sat. She looked quite pleased with herself. Tavaar wasn’t so sure. Wheylin had looked very unhappy.

“That went well,” Sashwa said as she sat. “Oh, by the way, that was a great pouty look. You nearly had me convinced.”

“I don’t pout!”

Sashwa merely chuckled. “Try to convince anyone of that now, Darling. No, I do not believe anyone will realize what you and Wheylin are up to now.”

“What did you say to him?”

“Nothing much. I just pointed out that as long as everyone thinks you are not laying together, he can expect more of it. But as soon as it becomes known it will come to a quick end. Gwihnna will see to that. That I told him quietly. I was less quiet when I talked about how he was thinking maybe it was going to happen at the new moon tomorrow.”

“I didn’t know he was hoping that.”

“He wasn’t. I made that up as an excuse to talk. By then Wheylin knew what was up and just followed my lead. He was appropriately angry when I told him I had already approached you. Said something nasty about my meddling and interfering.”

“That’s when you waved at me?”

“Yes. I told him we could find out right now. You were superb. I knew if you were angry at me you would give him a good pouty face, and you did. Wheylin did an excellent job of looking let down. But he didn’t think he could keep it up, so he left. I think that worked, though.”

“Yes. Well, that is his problem. Hopefully, we can get straightened out.”

“Straightened out and kept straight, huh, Darling?”

“Something like that.”

“Well, just be careful. Remember, you don’t want them to know.”

“I know. And I don’t pout!”

“Oh, yes you do, Darling. Yes, you do.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors