Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tavaar - 24th Edition

We now leave Tavaar's home village of Gahrem. Time has passed and Tavaar has been forced to marry Wheylin. Still angry, Tavaar only takes the shortest time to celebrate. As soon as she dares, she joins Sashwa's military company. Almost from the beginning she has a new problem.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

They had been with the company five days now and Tavaar was settling into the routine. It was very much the same from day to day. The company rose with the dawn and ate a hearty breakfast. After eating they marched through the morning, alert for any sign of enemy intrusion. Enemies were defined as Barbarians, roving companies of bandits or certain wild beasts (such as the giant cats) which posed a threat to family livestock. Thus far there had been no indications of enemy activity. At mid-day they would halt for a light lunch. Then the rest of the day was spent marching. Around dusk the company would make camp for the night, posting guards.

Tavaar’s role in all of this was still quite basic. Although she had attained the rank of sub-commander in the village defenses, here she was just another soldier.1 She marched and she did guard duty. She wasn’t even used for hunting or scouting, despite being known as an excellent hunter. She was one of the few who carried bows. Her bow was a magnificent war bow she had purchased just over a year ago. Coming from a wealthy line had its advantages. As she was new to the company, she did not get first watch when they stopped for the evening. Being the junior soldier, she was obliged to help cook for the entire company; something she was not particularly good at.2 This was a disadvantage of wealth. Certain skills tended to be ignored. No one complained, though, and no one took ill. Also, the cooks were allowed to eat first. After eating they would stand guard, getting their relief around midnight. They also had to rise before the dawn in order to prepare breakfast. Tavaar didn’t really mind the routine. It meant she was spared having to deal with things she wanted to avoid. Chief among these was Wheylin.

They had been married fourteen days now, and she had still refused to allow the marriage to be consummated. Even those first days, when she and Wheylin were sent to the Couples House, a small cabin just outside the village reserved for newlyweds, she had denied Wheylin her body. She was wrong in this, far exceeding her authority as wife, and she knew it. She just didn’t care. She couldn’t bring herself to go through with it. Not with Wheylin.3

Of course, Wheylin had complained. He gently, but firmly, pointed out his rights as husband. With regard to intimacy, they were nearly equal to her own. Refusal by either partner – without good cause – was a serious family offense. Tavaar knew that Wheylin would be well within his rights to bring her before her parents and charge her. Should they be unable to convince her to act within family law, the matter would continue to escalate, ultimately ending before the Head-of-Family. This had never happened. Often, just the threat of such humiliation was enough to bring compliance.

But Wheylin never spoke of the options at his disposal. He persisted, but quietly. He would take what she gave him and nothing more. Tavaar wondered at this. Was it because he felt shamed? Or was it just not that important to him? Or was he simply protecting her? That he was in love with her was evident. He always helped her with the cooking, even when it wasn’t his turn. At the cabin he had doted upon her, and his pleas for a husband’s due were never done with anger.

How much anyone suspected, she didn’t know. There were no comments. Even Sashwa seemed to regard all as well. But then, the routine helped. From breakfast to the evening meal there was no opportunity for anyone. Tavaar was currently on permanent cooking duty, so there was no opportunity at camp. After the meal, she and Wheylin shared guard duty. Perhaps the chance arose at mid-night, when their guard shift ended, but even Wheylin was too sleepy then. At least, he pretended to be. Tavaar suspected he would be awake enough were she to make an overture, but she didn’t.

It was Tavaar’s fifth day with the company when Captain Kelenbah decided to change the routine. They were just settling down to make camp. Tavaar and Wheylin began unpacking the cooking gear. As junior member, Tavaar carried most of it in her pack. She cooked all the time anyway. The others rotated. They had only begun when Kelenbah walked over to them.

“Wheylin, you join the cooks tonight,” he said.

“Very good, Sir.”

“Tavaar. I think I’ll give you a break. You take first guard.”

Tavaar froze. This was unexpected. She glanced at Wheylin and saw anguish. He might not be a great warrior, but he was no fool. He knew the company’s complete routine. Up to now, he and Tavaar had both been excluded from it. By being assigned to second guard – the long watch, which lasted four turns – they were never around for the evening’s more social interaction. By taking Tavaar off cooking duty, Kelenbah was freeing her to be in camp when the ‘fun’ began. Placing Wheylin on cooking duty meant he would not be there with her. Although not having actually seen anything herself, Tavaar remembered Sashwa’s confession. Her instincts were warning her. She chose to listen to them. She got to her feet and called after Kelenbah.

“If it is all the same, I will cook,” she said.

The camp went silent. Kelenbah stopped and slowly turned around. From the corner of her eye, Tavaar saw Sashwa rise from her place and exit the campsite.

“It is not all the same,” said Kelenbah. “I am giving you a break from a tedious task. Allow me to be generous.”

“The task is less odious to me than the thought of other things,” said Tavaar. “Since generosity is your concern, would you not do better to keep me where I have been? Or do you have another intent?”

Kelenbah’s eyes went dark. “Be careful, little soldier. You are not the high and mighty here. Here, I am in command. And whatever my intentions, I am not obliged to reveal them to a green recruit without understanding.”

“I understand more than you give me credit for.”

“Is that so?” said Kelenbah, trying to draw himself up. Tavaar felt no intimidation. She was as tall as he. “Then maybe I should ‘test’ you, to see if you are up to my standards.”

“I am beyond your standards, Kelenbah. I have no need to be tested by you.”

“It is not a question of what you need. I decide.”

“Well, your needs do not concern me. I will not satisfy them.”

Kelenbah's mood became threatening. "You are walking on dangerous ground, soldier.”

Tavaar remained unmoved. “Less dangerous than you, Kelenbah.”

“Captain! You will not address me by name without permission.”

“Easy enough. I have no desire to speak your name – captain.”

“This is not the village, Tavaar. There are no wooden swords. To fail here is to die. You would do well to heed me. I am the best here. That is why I am captain.”

“Soldier.”

“What?”

“Soldier. You will not use my name again without permission. Is that clear? As to your being the best warrior, don’t make me laugh. I am already better than you will ever be.”

“You do not think too highly of yourself, do you?”

“No. I do not.”

“No matter. I am still in command, and I will call you whatever – and whenever – I want.”

Tavaar now drew herself up. “You will not!” Unable to help himself, Kelenbah fell back before her authority. “I am a Lady of the Family. That gives me authority with overrides military rank. I decide which males may address me and with what degree of familiarity. You will not take that from me. Not if you were High Marshall or the Presider himself. Now. You will address me by my military title: soldier. If you just cannot avoid using my name, you will precede it with my family title: Lady. If you fail to head this, I will surely bring you before the Council and insist you be delivered for punishment. Is – that – clear?”

Kelenbah took a moment to collect himself. Her anger and her exercise of personal right had clearly caught him by surprise. Apparently, none of the other women had ever done so, though they could have Tavaar did not repeat her question. She was not given to that. Instead, she held her energy, and through force of will forced Kelenbah to submit.

“Very good – ‘Lady’ Tavaar. I concede your authority – in this matter. Forgive my presumption. However – soldier – I am still in command of this company. And I decide who will stand guard when, and who will cook. So, if I say you will not cook, and that you will stand first guard, then you will not cook, and you will stand first guard. Is – that – clear?”

Now it was Tavaar’s turn to pause. Kelenbah had regained the advantage by making this a military, and not a social, matter. Although she knew his ultimate intention, thus far he had not actually stated it. Her knowledge was based on tales from Sashwa and Wheylin, and her own instincts regarding males. But this would not be acceptable evidence before the Council, which was where she would find herself should she not comply.

“It is clear,” she said.

Kelenbah smiled over his victory. His manner became less serious. “You are a proud warrior, Lady Tavaar. That is good. It is also quite understandable. Did you not make sub-commander in the village defenses? That is a rare achievement. However, this is not the village. Things are different out here. And while your skills will undoubtedly serve you well, there is still much for you to learn. Go to your watch. When you return, eat. Afterward, you and I can take a short walk. We will discuss your role in this company.”

Tavaar made no reply. She was in a difficult place and she wasn’t clear about the line of Kelenbah’s authority. Exactly how hemmed in was she? The look in Kelenbah’s eyes was one of victory, but if he believed she would behave as others were purported to have done, he was much mistaken. As she returned Kelenbah’s look, she saw Sashwa return with Gwihnna, Kelenbah’s wife.

“Kelenbah, what are you doing?” Gwihnna asked.

Kelenbah turned to his wife. Tavaar made a mental note of his look of shame. “I thought I put you on first watch.”

“You did. I came back to leave my pack. What are you doing? Is there a problem?”

“No. No problem now. This soldier is just a little confused about authority, and how things work in this company. Nothing to worry about. A little later, she and I will discuss things privately.”

Gwihnna’s look was a knowing one, but there was no anger. Tavaar noted that, too. She looked at Tavaar as though sizing her up. Then she turned back to her husband.

“I am not sure anything needs discussing, Kelenbah. I doubt Tavaar has any real problem with your authority. But you appear to have forgotten she is a new bride. New brides like to be close to their male. You know that. But I see you have Wheylin on cooking duty. I take it you were planning on giving Tavaar first guard?”

“I thought to give her a break.”

“A nice and thoughtful gesture – but not when it means splitting up a new couple. Perhaps it will be best if you kept them together for a time longer. Either put them both on first guard, or have them both cook. At least for now.”

Kelenbah looked disappointed. “I am in charge of the company, Gwihnna.”

“Of course you are. And like all good captains you listen to council before making decisions. You have heard my council. What do you decide?”

Tavaar could tell Kelenbah did not wish to alter his orders, but the look Gwihnna was giving him was commanding. He might be in charge of the company, but it was clear Gwihnna was in charge of him.

“Very well,” he said, turning to face Tavaar. “I do not wish to separate you from your husband so soon. You may cook. Ahzbah, you take first guard.”4

“Yes, Sir.”

Kelenbah started to turn away, but first he paused. “You do understand that this accommodation shall be short-lived? After all, the company’s needs must eventually take precedence.”

“The company’s needs, or your needs?” Tavaar asked.

Kelenbah frowned. “They are the same.”

“Maybe. If so, there will be no problem. However, should they diverge, know this: I serve the company. Not you.”

He looked angry enough to strike her. She wasn’t worried. He would be down before he knew it. He was no match for her. As if sensing this, he skulked away. Before Tavaar could return to Wheylin, Gwihnna walked up to her and spoke in low tones.

“Impressive display. But a foolish one. I believe you and I should meet in private. I will arrange it.”

Gwihnna left and Tavaar knelt beside Wheylin to help unpack the cooking gear. His expression was thankful, but his tone was concerned.

“It isn’t over,” he said.

“I know,” she said, gently. “Gwihnna is going to talk with me. I expect she will explain ‘how things are’.”

“You know what they want of you, don’t you?”

She looked him in the face. “I do. But you have my word; I shall never submit.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors