Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Mythical Creature

I've just realized there is another mythical creature associated with The Great Sea that I had not considered until now. What it is?

A Computer which doesn't frustrate me continually.

Without the computer it is doubtful I would have been able to do much of the background work for Swords of Fire that I have done. Thousands of names, intertwined family trees, housing assignements, maps, floorplans, lada lada lada. All the same, the computer has added levels of frustration which I would not otherwise have known. Why?

The reason is simple enough. The computer makes promises which it fails to deliver on - regularly. Files become corrupted, and so they cannot be retrieved. Speed is bogged down by hundreds of background tasks which, I suspect, have less to do with keeping the system going for me and more for tracking things or running software which has no meaning or value to me. Despite few moving parts, the hardware still overheats, burns out or just quits working for no reason. Software which used to work just fine suddenly develops quirks, or quits working entirely - despite no changes being made to the system. New technology won't talk to the old. The list goes on and on and on.

Losing some of the things I have lost has been a downer. Studio One. The ZIO card reader. A couple of games I enjoyed playing. But losing music hurts. Music is part of my soul. And now it isn't there at the click of an on-screen button - as was promised.

Who do I complain to? No one. Everyone.

Who can do something about it? No one. People who require money before they will act.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors