Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tavaar - 27th Edition



Well, we had a nice break. Now it's back to Tavaar. By the way, I've got an Avatar picture which so very much reminds me of Tavaar. I've included it in this post.

Tavaar returned to Gahrem Village with a plan to escape Kelenbah and Gwihnna's plans, but Bolar adjusted them. We (the Readers) do not know what the new plan is.

As we pick up again with Tavaar, she has just returned to camp north of North Stop.


Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar looked over the pans at Wheylin and offered an apologetic smile. He looked back and shrugged. They had walked without rest through the night, held to their pace by Tavaar’s iron will, arriving just a short time ago. Sashwa and Ahzbah had gone to crawl into the small sleeping hut, made up of branches leaned together to form shelter from wind and rain. It was so close to dawn Tavaar and Wheylin set about to preparing breakfast. Wheylin built a fire while Tavaar collected pans and water. When the sun rose the campsite was filled with the smells of breakfast.

Part of cooking duty was dishing up the meal. As the warriors awoke they grabbed metal plates and wooden spoons and then came to get their helping of porridge, bread and fried meats. Wheylin was handing out bread and meat. Tavaar was dishing porridge. All went well until a familiar pair of boots stopped beside her. Kelenbah stooped down.

“So, you made it after all,” he said.

“Disappointed?” Tavaar asked, holding the ladle.

“Partly. I spent several turns thinking up suitable punishment. But then I changed my thinking. If you were so afraid that you had to run away, perhaps what you needed was reassurance. I thought to keep you close to me so you can experience my gentler, more loving side.”

“That side wouldn’t happen to be the front, would it?”

Kelenbah smiled. “I think you would find me most accommodating, Tavaar.”

“No doubt. What of Wheylin? Will you accommodate him as well?”

Kelenbah’s smile faded. “There is no need to talk like that. I am trying to be nice.”

“Try harder.”

Kelenbah started to speak, but suddenly he stopped. His smile returned.

“You are toying with me? What game are you playing now, Tavaar?”

“Lady Tavaar.”

“My apologies, Lady Tavaar. What are you doing?”

“Right now, I am serving breakfast, Captain. When I finish I intend to eat some of it. Then I shall go stand guard while the current watch eats. Afterward will depend on your command.”

Kelenbah’s eyes flitted long enough for Tavaar to notice. There was desire there, but his uncertainty was stronger. She didn’t much care for this game, and she had yet to discuss it with Wheylin. For now, though, it seemed the best course. Kelenbah stood.

“There is no point in your standing guard,” he said. “My guess is you walked all night to get here. You must be worn out. That is not the kind of watch we need. Eat your breakfast and go to bed. I am only sending out patrols today. The company will remain in place.”

“What about Wheylin – and the others?”

Kelenbah stopped again. He was looking hard at her, as though trying to read her thoughts. Part of her worried they were guessed, but Kelenbah’s tone revealed nothing.

“Take them with you,” he said. Then he lowered his voice. “I do not expect anything will happen. You are probably too tired for that, right? Saving yourself for another time? Another place? Another person, maybe?” Then, louder. “Where are your friends, anyway?”

“Sleeping, most likely.”

“Then leave them be. Hunger can be the price of their delay.”

“Then perhaps Wheylin and I should retire without eating?”

Kelenbah smiled wickedly. “I expect you shall. I will have my breakfast, though.”

Kelenbah took his food and walked away. He sent two others to relieve Tavaar and Wheylin of their duty. The pair left the main campsite and headed for their hovel. Wheylin waited until they were out of earshot before speaking.

“What was that all about?” he demanded.

“What is it ever about?” Tavaar replied. “Kelenbah sees everything as a chance to get in my clothes.”

“I don’t mean him. I mean you. You were acting like you almost wanted him to get in.”

Tavaar stopped. “Of course I don’t, Wheylin! He’s disgusting. I wouldn’t let him touch my clothes, much less me. Do not be jealous. Please. Trust me.”

“Trust you? I don’t even know what you’re doing. Do you?”

“I hope so.”

They started walking again.

“Has this anything to do with Bolar?” She gave him a quick look and he laughed at her. “I know you do not think highly of me, Tavaar, but I am not a complete fool. You went to him for some reason, and I very much doubt it was because you were ill. We have our own healer here in camp. You were upset when we left and the entire way to Gahrem. Then you meet with Bolar in secret for an entire morning. When you return you are back to normal. What did you talk about? What did you decide?”

She stopped and caressed his face. “Wheylin, I do not think little of you. Please believe that. I did talk with Bolar about what has been going on. He had some ideas. I had some of my own, but his were better. If they work, you and I, and a lot of others are going to be free of this nonsense.”

“What is he suggesting?”

“I – I don’t want to tell you right now.”

“Why not?”

“Well, in the first place, they might not work. I don’t want to get your hopes up.”

“Tavaar, we’re married. I know we have not lay together, but I am still your husband. You can tell me.”

“No. Not yet. I haven’t even told Sashwa, Wheylin.”

Wheylin sighed. “At least I know where I stand in importance with you.”

“Oh, Wheylin, I’m sorry. I will tell you. I promise. Just not now. Okay?”

He looked at her a long time. He smiled sadly as he shook his head in resignation.

“I can never say no to you. You know that.”

She smiled and kissed him. They held it for a long moment.

“Thank you, Wheylin.”

“Yeah, right. So, is toying with Kelenbah part of this plan?”

“Part. Is it all right?”

“Oh! Now you ask me? Tavaar, Tavaar, Tavaar. You do realize you are playing with a dangerous viper? Please don’t get hurt.”

She looked long into his eyes, seeing for the first time things which had been there longer than she knew. He was trusting her. Hopefully, she would be worthy of that trust.

“Kelenbah doesn’t worry me,” she said. “That is not the part of the plan I’m afraid of.”

Wheylin paused, as if in doubt.

“Tavaar, when you are ready to do the part which does frighten you, you know you can count on me. I will be there for you.”

Again, she caressed his face. “I know. And I know this is hard for you. Just believe in me, as I do you. And I do, Wheylin. Believe that. When the time is right, I will let you know. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Then let us go get some sleep.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors