Monday, January 12, 2009

Tavaar - 13th Edition

I've not heard from my regular reader, so I will continue on my merry way. If you need me to take a break I can leave off for a bit. Let me know.

Yesterday was devoted entirely to Tavaar and Sashwa. The goal was to demonstrate their friendship, love and bonded closeness. As the backstory continued this became more and more evident.

Today I will begin with Tavaar's confrontation with her parents upon arriving at home. Mainly, this occurs between Tavaar and her mother. There is an edge to their relationship which holds true through the entire backstory. At times it becomes quite heated, although not so much in this passage.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar entered the house and was almost immediately spotted by her mother, who was in the parlor with Odelmaar, Pulich and Parvah.27 (NOTE: This passage was written with the idea that Odelmaar and Taylich lived in a small cottage. I later placed them in a very large and very nice mansion owned by Odelmaar’s mother and father. This house allowed Odelmaar and his brother Ophmar to share the house - and so Sashwa and Tavaar. Any rewrites need to take the new floor plan into consideration. There actually is a floorplan, too. I drew floor plans of all the main houses - and some of the not so main ones, too.) Taylich called for Tavaar to wait and then came into the hall with Odelmaar.

“Where have you been?” Taylich demanded.

“Just out.”

“Out?” Well, come into the study now. Your father and I will speak with you.”

Taylich led the way. Tavaar wondered what the fuss was about. They couldn’t know about Jamvahn, and she couldn’t think of anything else she had done – recently. Taylich took a position by the desk. When Tavaar entered she pointed at the guest chair.

“Sit!”

Tavaar sat down. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong?” her mother’s voice was shrill “Tavaar, where have you been?”

Tavaar relaxed. Was that what this was all about? She couldn’t understand the fuss. She had been gone for days when she hunted.

“I was just walking.”

Her mother didn’t sound convinced. “Walking? Where? Why?”

Tavaar looked from one parent to the other. “I don’t understand. I’ve only been away a few turns. Why are you so worried? I’m usually gone a couple of days when I hunt.”

“You never go hunting without telling us first,” said her father.

“And you do not hunt wearing your best clothes,” said Taylich. “What happened to them? Your tunic is filthy. So are your pants. Have you been crying?”

Both Taylich and Odelmaar knelt beside her.

“What happened, Tavaar?” asked Odelmaar.

Tavaar looked at him. He sounded concerned. She turned to her mother, who was examining both her and her clothes. Uncomfortable under the scrutiny, Tavaar tried to push her away.

“What do you think happened?” she asked. “What are you looking for, Mother?”

Taylich paused. “Is your tunic torn? What about your pants?” she asked.

“No. They’re just dirty. What’s this all about?”

“Suppose you tell us,” said her mother.

“What do you mean?”

“We spoke with Jamvahn and Hiljam when they returned without you,” said Odelmaar. “They claim you were already upset when you returned to the carriage. Jamvahn said he believed you were crying. You have been gone for at least six turns. That is a very long time to cry, Tavaar.”

“What happened, Tavaar?” asked Taylich.

Tavaar finally understood. If the idea of it wasn’t so offensive she would have laughed. “You think they attacked me? And then left me on the road, or in the forest?” Her parents didn’t reply. “You know they would never dare. Neither of them. I think they know what I’d do if they tried.”

“Maybe not singly, but what about together?” asked Taylich.

“No! Not together, Mother. they do what I tell them to do and nothing more.” (Absolutely everything, she thought.) “Father, do you really believe those two could overpower me?”

Odelmaar paused. “No. I do not.”

Tavaar gave her parents an ‘all right then’ look.

“Is that why Jamvahn has been polishing carriages and Hiljam’s cleaning barns?”

“How do you know about that?” asked her father.

Tavaar’s indignation turned to caution. She had to be careful. Her parents were already fearful of the worst.

“I went to the carriage house when I got back.”

“Why?” demanded Taylich. “Why there and not here?”28 (NOTE: Taylich is far more terrified of the worst. I wanted to bring out that Taylich was already aware of the rumors and that she was greatly concerned over Tavaar’s behavior. Odelmaar, however, had a completely separate view, giving females considerable latitude. He also trusted Tavaar more than Taylich.)

“I saw a light. I was curious. I found Jamvahn there. He was still working. I asked him why he was there and he told me about the assignments you gave. He didn’t tell me why.”

“So, were they telling the truth?” asked her mother.

“If you mean about me being upset and crying when I returned to the carriage, yes. B neither Jamvahn or Hiljam had anything to do with that.”

“Then who did?” asked her mother.

“Did what?” Tavaar asked, feeling her anger rising.

“Made you cry,” Taylich replied, sounding reproachful.

Tavaar thought back on it. All the nonsense about Jamvahn and Hiljam attacking her had pushed thoughts of Khaiu away again. Why had she been so upset? It was because she had believed something was true that wasn’t.

“I guess I did,” she said.

“Tavaar, that doesn’t make sense,” said Taylich. “Tell me who you met with. Jamvahn said you entered the Temple, but returned from the east, by the stables. Who did you meet with? Answer me!”

“I wasn’t at the stables.”

“Who were you with?”

There was no point in hiding it. Besides, she hadn’t done anything wrong.

“Khaiu.”

Odelmaar snapped to his feet. “I knew it! He is the only one strong enough.”

Tavaar grabbed his arm and held him tight. “Father, no! He didn’t hurt me. Well, not like you’re thinking.”

“But he did something?”

Tavaar hesitated. It had never occurred to her to tell her parents. Now it looked like she had to. Still, she hesitated. For a fleeting moment she considered this could be an opportunity to force Khaiu into marriage with her. But she knew he would he never forgive her. (NOTE: According to family law, if Tavaar said Khaiu had lay with her then that was what happened. No trial. No further questions. It was the truth - according to family law. And since both Tavaar and Khaiu were unmarried, family law would force marriage upon them.)

“I offered him courtship. He said no.”

Taylich sat silent, her mouth open and her eyes wide. Odelmaar hesitated, then began to rant, tossing his arms as he paced.

“What kind of a fool is he? Turn you down? Is he mad?” He should be flogged for such stupidity.”

“And that was the end of it? There was nothing – more?” asked Taylich.

Tavaar rolled her eyes and sighed. “No, Mother, there was nothing more.”

“You do not say this imply to protect him, do you?” Taylich asked.

“If you had bothered to ask them, you would have learned my clothes were clean and prim when I returned to the carriage. It was only after I saw Jamvahn they became sullied.”

“Why? What happened? What did he do?”

“Mother, nothing! Jamvahn didn’t do it. Sashwa came in right after me. She’s been looking for me, too. She must have seen me enter the carriage house. Anyway, we left together. We got silly and started wrestling.”

“And Sashwa was able to throw you to the ground?” asked Taylich.

It was impossible for Tavaar to hide her annoyance. "You seem to think Jamvahn could do it! if Jamvahn can, Sashwa certainly can. She's almost as good a warrior as me."

"But not as good!" said Taylich. "So how was it she could take you to the ground?"

Tavaar blushed. “She tickled me.”

Odelmaar snorted back a laugh. “That would give her the advantage, all right. It is a strange weakness, my dear. But not one your enemies are likely to discover.”

Taylich stood and headed to the door. She was evidently finally satisfied with all explanations, but she was also somewhat disgusted. She paused for a final word before leaving.

“Really, Tavaar. Wrestling in your best tunic. You must learn to take better care of your things. As to the courtship matter, we will discuss that tomorrow. In the meantime, your father has something he needs to say to you. I will see you at the table.”

I'll let it go for today. I can't make these posts short, but there's no reason to make them marathon sessions.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors