Friday, January 30, 2009

Tavaar - 29th Edition

So, Tavaar has consumated her marriage at last. How many men would have put up with what Wheylin did for three-quarters of a year? Well, all good things come to those who wait. They did for Wheylin.

We return the next morning, after some polite exchanges and quiet intimacy, Tavaar meets up with Sashwa at breakfast. Tavaar is dishing up the food.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar and Wheylin alternated cooking new food for late risers, and dishing up for those eager for more. These were generally few in number when others cooked. However, when Tavaar and Wheylin cooked, everyone had at least second helpings. It was Tavaar’s turn for dishing up when Sashwa arrived.

“Good morning,” said Tavaar. “Which do you prefer to start with? Porridge or bacon?”

Sashwa didn’t answer. Instead, she grinned impishly. There was a mischievous sparkle in her eyes. She glanced around.

“So, how does it feel to be married at last?” she asked.

Tavaar felt her face flush. “What are you talking about? I’ve been married since Thermen.”

“Oh, yeah. Right!” mocked Sashwa. “Don’t pretend to me, Darling. I’m not dense. I know what you did last night.”

Tavaar’s face was burning now. She glanced around. “How? You weren’t there.”

“I didn’t have to be. I had a hunch it was going to happen, and when I returned from watch I was certain I was right.”

“How could you know?” demanded Tavaar.

“Oh, come on, Darling. Give me some credit, will you? I mean, it all fit, didn’t it? You make a desperate trip to Gahrem, and who do you spend your time with? Bolar. When you return, you are drinking baby drink instead of that ridiculous tea you were using to fool Wheylin. I can count days, Darling. And nights. You’ve been drinking baby drink for thirty days. It was safe now. I was certain it would happen the very next chance you had. I was right, too, wasn’t I? No need to answer. I can see it all over your face. You have such a beautiful blush, Darling. I’ve always thought so. It makes you look cute, instead of beautiful.” Sashwa laughed at Tavaar’s discomfort. “I so love it when you get pouty.”

“I’m not pouty!”

“Oh, yes you are, Darling. Or should I start calling you Lover now?”

“No. Stop it!” Tavaar hissed. Sashwa quieted, but she was still amused. “How did you know it was tea?”

“Simple. I drank some.”

Tavaar’s head snapped around. “You weren’t going to lay with someone, were you? Sashwa, don’t!”

“Oh, no, no, no. Don’t be silly. I’ve got you for that.”

“Stop it. Don’t talk like that.”23

“I can’t help it. I love to see you get upset when I do. But I drank some. I was curious to what it tasted like. You had just said it was awful. You’re right about that, too, by the way. It is. It wasn’t very good tea, though. Bolar must have put something else in it.”

“He had to. It had to fool Vohbiv. Wait a minute! You drank some of my baby drink? The real drink?”

“Of course. I was suspicious about why you went to Gahrem.”

“So, you’ve been spying on me? Is that it?”

“I’m just looking out for you, Darling. You know I love you.”

“So how did you know we had – last night? How did you know?”

Sashwa chuckled. “Well, you were huddled so close together that at first I thought one of you was missing.”

“That is hardly conclusive evidence.”

“No, but you were also completely naked under that blanket.”

“How do you know?”

“Simple. I looked.” Tavaar dropped her hands in exasperation and rolled her eyes, staring at the wet treetops. “Hey, you would have done the same thing. You know you would.”

“Honestly, Sashwa. Sometimes you are just – I don’t know. But you are. I don’t know why I put up with you.”

“I do. You love me.”

“I’m not so sure.”

“Oh, sure you are. In fact, until last night I was probably on top of your list.”

“I don’t have a list.”

“Well, if you had one then. You’re still on top of mine.”

Tavaar poked at her from the side and smiled, demurely. “You are a sweetheart. Sometimes.”

Sashwa laughed, gleefully. Then she huddled close. “So. You never said.”

“Said what?”

“How was it, silly?”

“You are incorrigible! You know that?”

“Maybe so. But we’re friends. We talk about everything.”

Tavaar turned her head. She was intending to tell Sashwa that after last night that might not be appropriate any longer, but when she turned her head she found Sashwa’s face nearly touching her own. Their eyes met and Tavaar found she couldn’t say it.

“Damn you!” she mumbled, turning away again.

Sashwa chuckled and gave her a hug. “It’s all right, Darling. I understand. So, how was it?”

“Well, how do you think it was?”

“That bad, huh? I wondered if he’s be up to it. I guess not, huh?”

Tavaar turned to her. “You’re not very nice.”

“He’s my brother! Why should I be?”

“Well, it just so happens it wasn’t like that at all.”

“Oh, come off it, Darling! You’re the only woman Wheylin’s ever been with in any capacity. Don’t try to fool me with tales of his prowess. I bet it didn’t even last a short turn, did it?”

Tavaar found herself reliving the evening. Sashwa’s voice sounded like an echo. Her own sounded far off.

“No, the first time was short. That is true.”

“The first time? What do you mean, the first time? How many times were there?”

“Well, ah, there were four.”

“Four! One right after the other?”

“Well, not right after. We talked some.”

Sashwa looked astonished. She looked across the site to where Wheylin sat talking with Ahzbah out of earshot. “Why, the little stud!”

Tavaar chuckled, absently. “Yeah. Who would have guessed?”

“I certainly would not have.”

Suddenly, Tavaar saw an opportunity for revenge.

“It turns out you didn’t get it all after all. If you’re jealous, I’m sure I can arrange something. How much of that baby drink have you had anyway?”

“Don’t be disgusting!”

Tavaar laughed. “Sorry, but I love to see you upset.”

Sashwa shook herself, as if tossing aside the very thought.

“So, you were satisfied then?”

Tavaar sighed and rocked her had back and forth.

“Well, no. Not exactly. But the last time was certainly better than the first. I think he’s going to be just fine. I wish I had known it back in Thermen. I might have delayed military duty after all.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors