Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What Does it Take - And Do I Have It

So, I read a variety of blogs, each dealing with a variety of topics. A few speak about writing, and what it means to write well and tell a good story.

Often, I find myself wondering if I qualify as a good storyteller. You see, while having a lot of stories to tell, and having written several million words toward them, that does not necessarily mean I know what I'm doing. Just look at G.W. He was president for eight years and never figured out how to do his job properly.

I get worried about my storytelling. Probably, this is because so few people read my stories. Oh, I have had as many as thirty people read Swords of Fire over the past thirty years, and only a couple didn't like it. Two didn't like it because they simply do not like any fantasy story. One didn't like it because she thought it was religious. (It's not. She just thought it was.) Everyone else liked it to varying degrees. Several were very eager for the sequel, which no one but me has read. Well, I take that back. I think I may have read it to Spouse and Son a couple of years ago. Can't remember. Getting old.

There is the Tavaar background story, of which I have posted 34 entries on this blog. But those are all rough drafts, and not part of a real story. Tavaar's backstory is just a series of vignettes without any real plot. I'm simply following her life in order to define her character.

Then there is Apprentice, which has been read by four people, three who liked it and one who didn't care for the subject matter, but who liked the writing.

So I've got some feedback, and it's mostly positive. Even my blog writing has been complimented by two or three. Apparently my writing style is easy to read.

I honestly believe that most fantasy readers would enjoy my stories, if they could but read them. But convincing them of that is difficult. I have no idea how many people write fantasy, but I expect it is in the tens, or even hundreds, of thousands. I expect a good many of them also have writing styles that are easy to read, and should those of us who read fantasy but get a chance to read what they have written we would enjoy those stories, too.

In the writing group I have joined there is a man who is writing a book in which Dwarfs are the main characters. I'm not so into Dwarfs. Stereotypically (in fantasy) their personalities are too gruff for me. I prefer the gentleness of Elves and Fairy Creatures (when they are portrayed as gentle and in tune with nature). But he has a good premise, and he shared his first chapter with us back in February. I think it's going to be a good story, and I think he is going to tell it well. Will it ever be accepted by an agent or publisher? I don't know. Hope so.

But I need to be honest. If it were only about getting my stories into the hands of readers the solution is simple: self-publish on the internet. Only the honest truth is this: I would very much like to be paid for my stories - at least those I consider epic in nature. And that is where my doubts arise. It's one thing to write with an easy style, and produce works people enjoy reading for free. But what about when it requires money? Are they still interested?

Perhaps those few people who know me might be willing to fork over the twenty or thirty dollars required to buy a new book these days. But I don't know that many people. Not who have money anyway. So somehow I have to convince strangers that my writing is worthy. That is done via query letters submitted to agents and editors.

A good salesperson goes into a meeting confident (or at least showing confidence). They hold to this even amidst heavy evidence of opposition. Like the lions of the African plains, they often fail to make their kill/sale. That's the way it is with writers. Only sometimes I think it's a h*lluva lot easier for a lion on the plains to pull down a buffalo than it is for a writer to secure a book deal with an agent or editor. Lions get to hunt in packs. Ultimately, writers are on their own.

What a scary place to be.

Well, I'm the one who thought playing in the Big Leagues would be fun. If I can succeed, it will be.

NOTE: Willie Mays went hitless in his first 35 at bats when he joined the Major Leagues. He sat down on the bench one day - after striking out AGAIN - and started to cry. The manager came by, patted his shoulder, and assured him he would do all right. Willie Mays made it to the Hall of Fame. Wish I had been a baseball player.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors