Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Roots are Still in Tact

The original Swords of Fire is gone, I believe. The map is gone, and so are the chapters. Even the subsequent efforts are lost.

There is a memory I can faintly draw upon in which I was reading portions to co-workers at Cicero's Pizza, where I worked. The owner used the old-style theatre organs as the gimic to draw people in. The truth was, the food wasn't that great. Pasta was good, though. Ummm.

The story originally began much, much later than the current version. Hundreds of years later, and on a different world. When I went through The Archives this week I found several notebooks and loose sheets of paper dealing with this now abandoned effort. My writing back then was so bad, but many elements of the style remain. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not. Here is a small blurb which may have been part of the original beginning. I mean original, and not just the start of the first finished effort. But notice the similarities.

Khirsha stepped lightly down the path. Using the training he had received not a noise could be heard (except, perhaps, by a trained ear). Even so, he ws moving quickly. Voices could be heard up the path and over the hill and he quickened his pace.

"Hoy, Khirsha!" called out Jasem, one of Khirsha's longtime friends who stood talking to Dregel, the third member of their threesome.

"You two could be heard all the way to Sarah," scolded Khirsha, lightly.

"Oh, come!" argued Dregel. "I hardly think so. But why bother? We're well out of town. Who's there to hear?"

"I shouldn't let the Teacher hear if I were you," said Khirsha with a laugh, and Dregel and Jasem laughed, too.

"Come," said Jasem. "Let us be going or the Teacher will be mad because we're late."

The Teacher was an aged elf who had shown up at their village just a few years earlier (as years were reckoned among Elves). Khirsha and his friends were Elves themsleves, of course, as was teh entire village of -

That's how it ends. I really did write a dash. This, I'm mostly sure, is how The White King of Ladondo began. The White King of Ladondo. That was the original Book I. I like the name, and if possible intend to incorporate elements of this story into some future work.

What I find interesting is that I kept the name "Khirsha". This Khirsha, however, was younger than the one who is now the main character in Traitor, the new Book I. The other names go away. There was a reason for using them, but I just checked and see that they are not even part of the list of thousands.

The concept of a Teacher remains, although it does not present itself in Traitor. It will in Book III. The following page contains some notes, and then there is some kind of prologue in which the name "Kesso" appears. I must have liked the name, because I use a variation of it for one of the important Saga Characters: Kelso.

The original plot dealt with the missing heir of King Fernando. (I chose the name because Fernando means "world traveler".) Shatahar (he was a Warlord from the beginning) wishes to finish his destruction of the Elves' royalty. He currently rules over the Kingdom of Ladondo in the north, tucked in the midst of three mountain ranges. He has an ice palace in the north. Very cliche stuff, I guess. He was known as "The White King".

You know, as I peruse this notebook, I'm finding an extended version of the beginning. There are no less than thirty-two pages of handwritten text. Maybe the original writings survived after all. The map is gone. Of that I have no doubts. It's too big to be hidden away.

What I enjoy about having kept all of this is that it gives me the ability to return to the past and see how the Saga evolved. Some things I have forgotten. Also, it exposes my growth as a writer. I see some bad habits no longer exist. That is encouraging.

I wonder how many writers keep their old stuff. I would expect a lot. But it's fun

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors