Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Mythical Creature

My son has been writing his own fantasy story over the past week. Every so often he gets inspired and writes. Only now that he's older, his stories are no longer just a few paragraphs. His current work is over 10,000-words. I haven't read any of it because he hasn't presented it yet. But clearly it is a fantasy work.

I know this because he asked for help in scanning a drawing he made of one of the creatures in his story. I won't post it now because I don't have his permission, but I will describe it.

It kind of looks like a lion, except it has ridges like a komodo dragon along its back, and the end of its tail is spiked like the stegosaurus?. Not sure which dinosaur had the spiked tail, but you've seen it, I'm sure. It has a mane that looks like fire and sharp claws on each of its four feet.

The creature is called, A Wulgad.

The Muses have been having fun with Son of late. He's been inspired to learn keyboards without any help from a teacher. (We just don't have the money.) But he's getting good. He can play reasonably quick with few errors. He does know how to read music. And playing the tuba gave him an inside track on learning the bass cleft.

He also draws, although not so often anymore. But he drew the Wulgad himself. He also created a comic series of stick people which now encompasses several notebooks. I try to get him to draw on drawing paper, but he likes the spiral bound notebook paper. Well, I'm not going to discourage him.

Music. Drawing. Writing.

I'm kind of proud of him. I'd like to believe he inherited at least some of that from me.

2 comments:

laughingwolf said...

no doubt he has, bevie... happy to find a proud parent :)

Bevie said...

Thanks

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors