Monday, March 30, 2009

Tavaar - 35th Edition

So, it's the 100th post of this blog! Huzzah! And, as promised, here is the next installment of Tavaar's background story.

To provide background for the background, when I left off last Tavaar had just been placed in command of the company after arranging for Kelenbah's departure. Most of the company assumes she lay with Kelenbah to get command. She has won the loyalty of Nayvehl, but more because Nayvehl is a good warrior than because he believes in her.

Tavaar has also just learned that Gwihnna's premonition of infidelity was not a ruse after all. And Sashwa knows, but has withheld this. This is where Tavaar confronts her friend. The premonition stuff seems silly, but the truth is it is important. VERY important to the entire Swords of Fire Saga.

I have removed all references to notes I made on the text. It's a little less than 1,000-words.

Nayvehl immediately issued orders. Tavaar let him be. She started for her hut, but passed by Sashwa. Now she was angry again. She looked down at her friend, who was grinning back.

You will come with me now,” she said.

She had caught a glimpse of Sashwa’s fading smile as she walked away. Sashwa caught up with her. Tavaar appreciated Sashwa walking in silence and let her command. She stopped at the door to the hut and waited. Sashwa gave a look, then dropped to the ground and crawled inside. Tavaar waited a moment to prepare herself and then followed.

Sashwa was sitting up as best she could. The low ceiling prevented actual standing, but she was on her knees with her backside on her heels. She looked put out.

“All right, Darling, what’s this about?” she said.

“Is that how you address your company commander?”

Sashwa flared. “Oh, no! Don’t give me that ‘I’m in command’, little Darling. Out there, you are. And in anything military you are. But not in here, little Darling. I sleep here, too.”

“Then maybe you should sleep some place else.”

Sashwa reacted as if Tavaar had just slapped her face. “Is that what you want?”

Tavaar recoiled. She had not meant to be hurtful. Her eyes welled up with tears.

“No. Not ever. I’m – I’m sorry. I – please, forgive me.”

Sashwa smiled. “Always, my love. Now, Darling, why the ruffled feathers?”

Tavaar moaned. “Can’t you at least pretend I’m in charge?”

“You are in charge, Darling. Out there. But in here we sleep together. It is your place to get away from command. Out there you must maintain control. You must lead by example. In here, you can relax. You can be weak, if you want. In here, it will be like always: I will take care of you. Okay?”

Tavaar nodded and wiped her eyes. “Okay.”

Sashwa leaned forward and kissed her. “Good. Now, why are you mad at me? What have I done now?”

Tavaar took a breath. “You have kept the truth from me.”

Sashwa’s eyes widened in surprise. “Really? What truth am I hiding from you?”

“The truth about Gwihnna’s premonition.”

Sashwa fell quiet. Tavaar watched her, looking for clues.

“And what is the truth about Gwihnna’s premonition?” Sashwa asked.

“It’s true, isn’t it? I am going to have a baby, but not with Wheylin. Gwihnna saw it, and you know it’s true, don’t you? Don’t you, Sashwa?”

Sashwa sighed and collected herself before speaking. “No, Darling, I do not know it to be true. That is not my gift.”

“But you believe it?”

“Yes.”

“Then why did you lie to me? You said it wasn’t true!”

“No, Darling, I did not. If you remember, you asked me if I was going to tell you it was true. I said no. I did not say it wasn’t. Neither did I say what I believed.”

“Word games! You know I hate it when you do that.”

“Only when I direct them at you. When they work to your favor you appreciate it well enough.”

“You should have been open with me. You should have told me all.”

“No, Darling. I should not have. You were upset to the point of making wild plans. You offered yourself to Bolar, remember? What would you have done had I told you I believed the premonition? You may have lay with anyone, just to put it behind you. You may have lay with Kelenbah, thinking you had to. No, Darling. I gave you enough truth to calm you down and keep you going. I always planned to tell you. But the time never seemed right. I wanted to wait until the Kelenbah business was over. Now it is. Bolar agreed with me.”

“Bolar? You spoke with Bolar about it?”

“Yes. I doubted you would mind much. You had already told him everything anyway. By the King! You asked him to father your child. That’s why I went to him: to ask the same thing.”

Tavaar gasped. “You asked him to lay with you, too?”

“No! Of course not. I wouldn't do that to him. I’m not so cruel as you.” Sashwa laughed. “No. Actually, what I asked him was if there was some potion he could make for you and me.”

“What?”

“Yeah, well, I was desperate, too. I was worried for you. I mean, I didn’t know if it was true, but if it was, who would it be? I just wanted to be sure it was someone who loves you, as opposed to just wanting you.”

“And you say I was shocking. I hope he was sitting down when you asked.”

“I don’t remember. I know he was after.”

“I bet. What did he say?”

Sashwa’s eyes glinted mischievously. “Ah! So you like the idea?”

“Stop it! I’m asking, that’s all.”

“Sure you are. Well, don’t get your hopes up. We can lay together, if you want, but Bolar has no potion to make a baby from it.”

“You are nasty.”

“Perhaps. But only with you. Anyway, we had a good long talk about how things worked. He couldn’t believe how ignorant I was.”

“Ignorant! You just wanted to talk about it.”

“Yeah, well, it was interesting. I can see why you like him. He’s smart, understanding, and funny, too. As I was leaving he laughed at me and said he would give my request all the attention it was due.”

“If he thinks about it at all he will have done that. You know, he must think we’re the two most wanton girls in the family.”

“We are, aren’t we?”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors