Saturday, March 7, 2009

There Has to be a Reason for It

A good number of years ago I attended a Christian Writers' Conference in Wheaton, IL. Wheaton is just outside of Chicago and is home to Wheaton College, where the conference took place.

The idea was for Christian writers to gather together in one place and learn various things about writing. There were also representatives from vairious publishing houses to look at pieces of work. It was an excellent chance to meet a lot of people in the book business.

I met several authors, but I can only remember two: Myrna Grant and Janette Oke. I was also introduced to an editor at a Christian publishing house. His company did not publish fantasy, but he told me to write a story about children and baseball. I did. I wrote Joey. Based it on an actual incident and submitted it. Rejected.

There was another author I met, but I cannot remember his name. He read one of my earliest versions of Swords of Fire: Book I. That was when it was called The Prophecies of Madatar, which is now Book II. He did an excellent job of shredding it without making me feel horrible. That's a true gift.

I remember he was especially bothered by things which seemed to not have a reason. He said the family's extended lifespans were simply pro-rated out. Which was true. He said there was no purpose in Khirhsa's traveling all over the world. He had reasons for being there, but not for going.

He had a lot more to say and I tried to incorporate all of the suggestions into my work. But his thoughts on story elements having no reason have remained strong with me ever since. I learned the reason for the family's extended lifespans. It was before me all the time. I found reasons why Khirsha should make the journey he took. I know how Abrin gets his knowledge. I know what the "madness" is which infected Khirsha, Tavaar, Sayla, Avalina, and a few others not dealt with directly in Book I. And I know how and why they were "infected".

Learning the "why" of something can be trying sometimes. Sometimes I want to write a scene because it is so cool. The problem is, there is no reason for that scene to happen. I agonize over those scenes, searching for a reason for them to be. If I can find no reason, I cannot write the scene. I hate that, but everything has to happen for a reason.

I once had to rewrite two entire chapters in order to get a character to a place they needed to be. I have altered birth dates - and years - in order to suit matters. Marriage partners have been changed (no divorce - just changed - a literary form of spouse-swapping). Everything has to fit. It can get quite complicated at times. Which reminds me, I still have to complete 350 years of military assignments.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors