Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tavaar - 68th Edition

This installment of Tavaar's Backstory is going to be especially short. The reason is that it ends a scene and probably should have been part of yesterday's post after all. No matter.

We are soon to learn some important information from Khaiu. In Swords of Fire: Traitor, Khaiu is really just a minor character. In Tavaar's Backstory his role is far more important.

Even when writing Swords of Fire I always suspected there was far more to Khaiu than I really knew. I wasn't able to piece it all together, though, until I wrote Tavaar's Backstory. That included some of Khaiu's backstory. It also allowed me to see how Khaiu is truly a "mover and shaker" of events. He is deliberately enigmatic, like his father. He prefers a role behind, but very near, the visible leaders. This is not because of any lack of confidence on Khaius part. Rather, it is because he is wise enough to understand that those at the front are often distracted by events and so do not see all they should. Therefore, they rely on others to do some of the seeing for them. Understanding he has a great capacity to see these other things, Khaiu has chosen to forgo the front in order to be the best support possible.

Anyway, here is the conclusion of Tavaar's scene with Khaiu.

“Why have you been studying premonitions?”

“To see if there is an overall pattern, or message.”


“Is there?”


“It is especially interesting that your lover in Gwihnna's premonition should remain in shadow when the premonition is repeated. Especially when everything else in the premonition was made more clear. She gave no hint to his identity?”


“No. You say ‘his’. Does that mean you think both children are fathered by the same male?”


“The shadow was the same.”


She looked at him intently. He was drifting away in thought.


“Khaiu? Khaiu! Do you think you know something about this?”


He looked at her with sudden keenness. “You are a warrior of destiny, Tavaar.”


“You’ve told me that before. Khaiu, are you saying my ‘destiny’ is somehow connected with this premonition?”


“I am not saying anything. That is your guess.”


“But it strikes me as a fair guess. I think you know something, Khaiu. Tell me. I can handle it. I promise.”


Instead of a reply, he only gave her an irritating smile.


“Let me think things over through the night and the morrow. We should meet again. Only we should invite Wheylin, Sashwa, and Shello. Judging by how General Sampka is proceeding tonight, I doubt he will be done tomorrow. Okay?”


Tavaar hesitated. “Khaiu, I haven’t told Wheylin everything.”


Khaiu’s look was blank. “Then maybe you should. Come. Let us sit with the others. We have done all we can tonight.”


“Well, not all we can.”


“Do not start, Tavaar.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors