Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tavaar - 34th Edition

This, I believe, is the final scene which includes Kelenbah. I like the scene because it is when Tavaar assumes command of the company. It isn't necessarily written well, but it's backstory. Like the rest of Tavaar's story, it may one day be refined.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar walked to Kelenbah’s hut. Velitz and Mohrtive were with him. As Tavaar walked up they glared at her. Kelenbah said something and they left.

“They do not look happy,” she said.

Kelenbah smiled and grunted. “I think they hate you.”

“I know they do.”

“They may never forgive you for this.”

“Their problem. You have, though? Seems kind of quick.”

Kelenbah stared at her. “I don’t know. You have forced me from my command, but you have brought me back to my wife. I am feeling a lot of different things right now, and depending on where I put my focus I am filled with great anger, relief and love.”

“As long as your love is directed to your wife.”

Kelenbah smiled, grimly. “Still no quarter?”

“No. What did you want me for?”

Kelenbah stooped and picked up a stack of parchments. He presented them to Tavaar, who took them without question.

“That is the order pouch for the company’s mission during the test. There will be two warriors. Their task is to reach West Stop before the next moon. Our – your job is to capture them.”

Tavaar began to rifle through the parchments. She only glanced at the one with the map. She was more interested in who was being tested. It could prove useful.

“I have already made some notes about how to deploy the company. That was, of course, with the assumption we would have a full company. If you would like, we could delay our departure until the mission is over. I would leave you in command.”

“Thank you, but no. I think it best we make this break quick and sharp.”

Kelenbah hesitated, as though tempted to say more. Tavaar continued to study the fact sheets on the two opposing warriors.

“I must say, I am surprised you made Nayvehl your second.” Tavaar looked up. “Why do you think Velitz and Mohrtive came to see me? It’s all over camp. I would not have thought you would trust him. He has been very loyal to me.”

“He has been loyal to the family. You just happened to be in command.”

“Yes, I believe you are right. Mohrtive said he has already put a stop to some of the talk. I wish he could stop it all. I wish I could. I suppose I could confess.”

“It is too late for that. I will survive.”

“I know you will. As I said, you are the best. But I doubt Nayvehl would have returned the favor had I put him in command.”

“That’s why you chose me, isn’t it? You knew what was going to be said, and you knew Nayvehl would not promote me.”

“Yes. And I knew you would turn down my offer of help. But to succeed in this mission, the company is going to need a strong leader. That is you. I think your choice of chief scout is right, too. Beyond that, I have only one more thing to say. Considering all that has happened, you may not accept it. I cannot even promise that I mean it right now. Yet it may be long ere we meet again. We do not intend to remain in Gahrem. Your brothers – your father. It may not be safe. But I want to say I am sorry while I have the chance. That, and thank you for being merciful.”


Tavaar did not reply. She wasn’t sure how she felt. Kelenbah didn’t appear to expect a reply anyway. He waited a moment and then called into the hut. Gwihnna came out carrying a pack. Kelenbah picked his up and started away.

“I’ll be right there,” said Gwihnna. Then she turned to Tavaar. “Thank you.”

“There is no need.”

“I want to say I’m sorry, too. I wish I had been wise enough to have been your friend. Now it is too late.”

“Where will you take him?”

“I will seek a transfer to Black Ore Village. They always need help. It is dirty work with little glory. I will see what I can do about getting the others transferred, too. At least, Velitz and Mohrtive.”

“Thank you. It will not be safe for them in Gahrem.”

“No, I expect not. Tavaar, there is one more thing.”

“What?”

“It is about my premonition.”

Tavaar smiled. “You wished to tell me you made it up? I already guessed.”

Gwihnna did not smile. “No, Tavaar. That is not what I was going to tell you. You think I was lying? The premonition is real, Tavaar. In fact, it came again. It is much more clear now.”

Tavaar’s heart froze. This had to be a lie. It couldn’t be true.

“Who?” she forced herself to ask.

“That I do not know. He is still a shadow. His features are indistinct. But this I do know: you will have at least two children by someone other than Wheylin. I am sorry, Tavaar. Only you and I know. I told Kelenbah I made it up to trick you. I will tell no one else. Ever. I am sorry.”

She gave Tavaar a farewell kiss and left. Tavaar remained alone in troubled thought for some time before returning to camp. Bolar had suggested Gwihnna might have been lying, but he had not been definitive. Even Sashwa, now that she thought of it, had really evaded the question. Well, not this time. This time she would insist on a clear answer. Bolar was too far away to trouble. But Sashwa was here.

At the campsite Kelenbah and the others were giving farewell kisses. There were some tears, but not many. Although it had become clear the departing warriors were leaving the company permanently, no one, save a few, really knew why. Tavaar took her place in line and kissed each in turn. Neither the kisses she gave, nor the kisses she received, held much feeling. These were kisses of protocol. All save Gwihnna’s. She actually held Tavaar in an embrace.
Last was Kelenbah. As Tavaar was also last, this was before the entire company. The two looked at each other.

“Not even one, Tavaar? You would have me leave in ignorance?”

Tavaar took a breath. She took Kelenbah’s shoulders and kissed him quick. Then she let him go. Kelenbah smiled.

“Hmm. Not quite what I had expected. I had hoped for more. At least now I know. Fare thee well, Tavaar. And good luck. Come!” he said to the others as he turned away. “Let us be gone.”

The ten departing warriors lifted their packs and departed into the forest’s depending shadows. Tavaar watched them leave with mixed feelings. Her ordeal with Kelenbah was now officially over. There would be lingering after effects, such as the gossip, but Kelenbah had done his best to end that, as well. His comments would lead some to rightfully conclude she had never kissed him, much less lay with him. But she knew there would always be those who would refuse to believe anything but the worst. Most of those would be people who didn’t much care for her in the first place. A few might be some she admired. Hopefully, very few. No matter, for she was in command. She was twenty-seven and in command of a flamesword company. Not many could boast that.

She waited until the last of the departing warriors had disappeared before turning to face her command. All eyes were upon her. Some knew she was blameless. Others believed she was guilty. Some were not sure. This would be her first, and best, chance to establish herself. She decided to hit things head on. If it was to fall apart, it may as well do so from the beginning.

“I realize this has been an eventful evening,” she said. “For that reason, I will grant this time to clarify some of your questions – providing you have any. What do you wish to know?”

“How long will Captain Kelenbah and the lieutenants be gone?” asked Sohlvin, a young warrior who had supported Kelenbah.

Tavaar did not miss the reference to rank. The very first question had put her right to command in dispute.

“Kelenbah and the others will not be returning. By leaving the camp, they have left the military.”

There was a rush of talk.

“They can’t just walk away,” said Yahrleen. “What if we all did that?”

“Are they to be detained?” asked Quehlit.

“I do not know what is to happen to them,” said Tavaar. “Yahrleen is quite correct in stating family law forbids abandonment of one’s post. However, special leave is allowed by permission of the commanding officer.”

“So, Kelenbah gave permission to himself?” asked Yahrleen.

“In effect, yes,” said Tavaar, noting Yahrleen’s omission of using the title captain. “He place me in command before leaving, so the company is not leaderless.”

“Why you?” asked Sohlvin. “Why not Lieutenant Nayvehl? He’s the ranking officer.”

Tavaar saw Nayvehl react angrily to Sohlvin. A true warrior.

“He made the decision he thought was best,” she said.

“Best for who?” asked Diyendella. She had never liked Tavaar. “How do we know he wasn’t just repaying some ‘favor’ you gave?”

Sashwa, Wheylin and the others who had witnessed what transpired reacted angrily, but Nayvehl’s voice cut through the air.

“Diyendella, that will be enough!”

Diyendella quailed, but she had some spark remaining. “I think we have a right to know.”

Nayvehl stood. “I said enough!”

Diyendella went quiet and Nayvehl glared at the company. No one spoke. Then he turned to Tavaar and nodded before sitting.

“Thank you, Nayvehl,” she said. “I am aware of what ‘favor’ some of you believe, or wonder if, I gave. Diyendella says you have a right to know. Except you cannot know, unless you were there. You must either accept my statement that I did no wrong with Kelenbah, or you must believe me a liar. Either way, I have no desire, or intention, of trying to defend myself and prove my innocence. To all of you I give my word of honor that I am blameless. If you believe me to be without honor, so be it. I will speak no more about it. Neither will you within this command. That is not why we are here. Believe what you will, but remember why we are here. We are warriors. We will do our duty.”

“What of the command structure?” asked Quehlit. He glanced nervously at Nayvehl. “I mean, we have lost our captain and five lieutenants. That just leaves Nayvehl. Well – I mean – well, you, too.”

“Yes. How do we address you?” asked Yahrleen. “Forgive me, but I do not recall Kelenbah making you an officer.”

“He did not. That was not within his authority, as you know perfectly well, Yahrleen,” said Tavaar. “Promotions of that sort can only be given by Marshalls, Generals or Commanders.”

“So, you are still just a soldier?” asked Sohlvin.

“I am a soldier, yes. However, I am hardly just a soldier. I am the best warrior in this company, and I defy any of you to challenge me on that. I am also in command.”

“Then what do we call you?” asked Yahrleen.

“Lieutenant Nayvehl has suggested Sub-Commander.”

“But that’s a village rank!” sneered Sohlvin. “Out here, it is no better than being a soldier.”

“You have some problem with it?” Tavaar asked.

Sohlvin was about to reply, but a that moment he saw Tavaar’s face and fell quiet. He swallowed and relaxed. “No, Sub-Commander.”

“As ranking officer, Nayvehl will be second in command. He will give you your assignments and handle most day-to-day operations. Sashwa will be Chief Scout. I do not have the authority to actually make her a lieutenant, so you may call her Chief Scout. Beyond those two, I have yet to consider others. I will meet with Nayvehl and Sashwa at my hut after eating to discuss it.”

“How long do you think this will last?” asked Quehlit. “Not that I’m unhappy. I just – how long?”

“It will depend mostly on how long it takes Kelenbah and the others to reach the High Command. There should be some at West Stop even as we speak. If that is their destination then High Command will know in two days. If they avoid West Stop, it could be nearly a week.”

“Wouldn’t they make for West Stop if they know High Command is there?” asked Quehlit.

“I do not know their destination. Kelenbah did not say.”

“In any case, it could be twenty days or more before a new captain arrives,” said Sashwa. “High Command is not likely to have a replacement with them at West Stop.”

“That is true,” said Tavaar.

“Will we wait here for the new captain?” asked Yahrleen.

“No. We are breaking camp tomorrow. Whoever comes to take command will have to find us in the wild.”

“Why not wait?” asked Sohlvin, regaining some of his surely attitude.

Tavaar looked at him. She understood the cloaked accusation that she was only breaking camp to keep hold of command that much longer, but she could tell the question was shared by others.

“We cannot wait because we have a mission. As I am sure you are all aware, we are tasked with defending against two warriors in a practice test. They began two days ago. Our job is to capture them in the wild.”

“How are we to do that? We’re short ten!” said Sohlvin.

All fell silent as they saw Tavaar focus on him. Sohlvin seemed to melt like ice under a hot sun. Tavaar felt like the sun. Her anger was burning hot. He really hadn’t meant to, but Sohlvin had just made a direct challenge to her authority.

“Sohlvin. Do you wish to remain in camp to greet the new captain? You can also explain to him why you have been left behind.”

“No, Sub-Commander. I do not wish to be left behind.”

“Then do not question my orders again. We still number roughly twenty.9 If we work well, it should be enough. I will go over the plan with Nayvehl and Sashwa this evening.”

Nayvehl stood respectfully. Tavaar nodded to him.

“Sub-Commander. I believe the outgoing captain made plans for our deployment. He may have left them in his hut. With your permission, I will go look.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant, but there is no need. I have all of the mission data. However, we will not be using that plan.”

Quiet whispers and looks of astonishment swept through the camp. Nayvehl looked uneasy, but he kept his poise and said nothing. Tavaar found herself more and more impressed by him.

“I see you are wondering why,” she said. “This company has used the same strategy since before Kelenbah.”

“Precisely. And it usually works,” said Yahrleen.

“True,” said Tavaar.

“They – why abandon it? Sub-Commander,” said Quehlit.

“For two reasons. First, because, as Sohlvin was alert enough to point out, we are short ten warriors. The plan I was given is based on a company of at least thirty warriors. It will not modify well to our current number. But even more important, I am abandoning the plan because it cannot work – even were we at full strength.”

“How can you say that, Sub-Commander,” said Quehlit.

Tavaar smiled. “Because the starting point these two warriors requested points to a new strategy. We will defeat it.”

Nearly everyone looked uneasy. Yahrleen stood respectfully.10 Tavaar acknowledged her.

“Sub-Commander, forgive me, but you only learned of our mission today. Is that correct?”

“It is.”

“Then – please, forgive me again – how can you have developed an entirely new strategy? There has been no time. Do you have a strategy?”

“Yes.”

“Will…”

“I will go over it with Lieutenant Nayvehl and Chief Scout Sashwa after eating. All will be explained in the morning.11 If that is the end of questions, eat. Lieutenant Nayvehl. Post your guards and prepare your recommendations for two squad leaders. Have your supper and come to my hut.”

“Very good, Sub-Commander.”

Nayvehl immediately issued orders. Tavaar let him be. She started for her hut, but passed by Sashwa. Now she was angry again. She looked down at her friend, who was grinning back.

“You will come with me now,” she ordered, and continued.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors