Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tavaar - 32nd Edition

I skip ahead in Tavaar's backstory to the time when the plan Bolar gave her reaches its zenith. It has been a full year since Tavaar joined the company. The previous few passages, and this one, are not well-written, and in my notes I mention that they all need rewriting. Don't know if it will ever happen. But with the conclusion of the Kelenbah business Tavaar enters a new era.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar sat and waited. It was time to bring the plan to its inevitable conclusion. She was certain it would work. Kelenbah was primed and ready. When he walked past to refill his plate, she stood.

“Captain. May I speak with you?”

Kelenbah stopped and appraised. As always, there was the ever present look of hope in his eyes. “What do you want, soldier?”

Tavaar smiled, softly. “Tonight, you may call me Tavaar.”

Kelenbah’s hope began to transform into expectation. “Tavaar? Really? But only tonight?”

“Well, we’ll see about later. That will depend, of course, on how our talk goes.”

“Then let us begin it. What do you wish to talk about?”

“I would rather not talk here. Could we find some place private?”

She could almost hear his heart rate increase.

“I think that can be arranged. Have you any place in mind?”

“Actually, I do. Will you come?”

“Most certainly.”

He tossed his plate aside and fell into step at her side as she led him away from camp. She led him past the ring of guards to a quiet place. It was a small hollow surrounded by thick hedges. Kelenbah looked around and smiled.

“This is certainly private,” he said. “It is practically a room with a door. Why so far from camp?”

“I thought you might become loud. I didn’t want the whole camp to hear.”

Kelenbah’s grin widened. “I can get loud. When I’m angry, and when I feel extreme – satisfaction. But somehow I don’t think you brought me here to make me angry. Did you, Tavaar?”

She smiled at him, coyly. “It would be a shame if you did.”

“Don’t worry. I think this is going to be the most wonderful night of my life. You’ve finally accepted the inevitable then?”

“I have. It has been a full year now. I have resisted, but no more. There is only one thing left to do. So I have brought you here to do it.”

“Wonderful! Shall we get started then?”

“Yes. Let’s.” He started to move toward her.

“I am officially renouncing my military membership.”

She had not touched him, but he pulled up like he had been slapped. “What?”

“I am resigning,” she said.

“But you can’t,” he said.

“Yes, I can. I am married and I can quit anytime after one year’s service. I have completed that year.”

“Normally, yes. But not in your case.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you are too good a warrior to simply ‘let go’. You first need my permission. I then forward that to a Commander who brings it to a General. In your case, I think it will require a Marshall to decide.”

“But other strong warriors have left early. I checked.”

“Oh, that is true, Tavaar! But you see, they were beginning families. They, or their wife, were with child. Are you with child, Tavaar?”

She hung her head. “No.”

“And are you and Wheylin expecting you to be within the year?”

She hesitated, then lowered her voice. “No.”

Kelenbah chuckled. “I thought not. I can’t figure why you even chose him. You could have had anyone, Tavaar.”

She looked up. “Not anyone.”

“Oh. Well, I guess some of us were chosen already, weren’t we? I tell you what, Tavaar. I think I can help you.”

“You will send a letter of approval then?”

“Of course. After you are with child.”

“With child? But that means – Wheylin.”

“No, no, no. It does not have to be Wheylin, Tavaar. Remember Gwihnna’s premonition? This is clearly how and why it comes to pass. Lay with me now. You may get your child tonight. If not, well, there is always tomorrow. We can try until it happens.”

“I can’t do that, Kelenbah. I made a promise to Wheylin.”

He began to get angry. “Wheylin! Don’t pretend to me you’re going to lay with Wheylin.1 I’m the one you will lay with, and you will have my child. You know this is true. In fact –“ he stopped pacing and looked at her as if suddenly realizing something. “Of course. You did know, didn’t you? You brought me out here to tell me you want to leave the military, knowing I would say no – unless you were with child. But you refuse to consent.”2

“Kelenbah…”

“Hush! It’s all becoming clear now. Your marriage to Wheylin. Your refusal to submit. Your bringing me here. It all makes sense now.”

“What makes sense?”

“You are afraid.”

“Of what?”

“Me. Males in general, I would say.”

“I am not afraid of males, Kelenbah. I had…”

“Yes, yes! You have had lots of males in your arms, but always under control. Always supervised.”

“I got married.”

“To a man you will not lay with. That is why you chose him. He lets you get away with it. You’re afraid of real men. Men like me.”

“Why am I afraid?”

He came closer. His manner was consoling.

“Look. I heard the rumors of what happened with Mehngen. I guess that left a mark none but you can see. But listen, Tavaar. I am not like that. I do not force. You know that now. That is why your manner changed toward me, right? At first you feared I was like Mehngen. You feared all strong men are. But now you see I am different. I am not rough and cruel. I am gentle and pleasing. I will give you pleasure you have never dreamed, Tavaar. Let me show you.”

He took hold of her shoulders and began to pull her close. Her hands came up against his chest.

“Kelenbah, don’t.”

“It’s okay,” he cooed. “I’m going to be gentle, and we’re going to go slow. Okay?”

He gently, but firmly, pulled on her shoulders, forcing her elbows back so that their bodies came together.

“Kelenbah, I haven’t given you permission to do this.”

“I know you haven’t. But that is what you want, isn’t it? You want me to take the initiative and break down your resistance. You want to be helpless in my arms. Thus, your innocence will remain. Very good, Tavaar. Now, let me show you how to make a baby.”

With a final pull, he brought her hard against himself, his arms wrapped tightly around her. He bent his head and kissed her on there mouth. Tavaar responded instantly. There was no hesitation. There was no doubt. She knew what was going to happen and acted quickly to bring it about. Her hand slid up the side of Kelenbah’s body to a place below his arms. Her thumbs hooked into the bend where shoulder met arm. Her fingers were on top of his shoulders. She brought her fingers and thumbs together in a vice like pinch.

Kelenbah fell away with a scream, clutching his under arms in pain. He stood hunched over, gasping and moaning. Finally, he bent his head up to look at her. “What did you do that for?” he asked.

Tavaar stood commandingly before him. She spoke loudly and with authority.

“Kelenbah, son of Wachdo3, you have broken family law.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

“You have taken a woman, not your wife, into your arms for the purpose of laying with her. You have kissed her without permission.”

“Yes, but you wanted me to.”

“Did you, or did you not, hear me tell you to stop?”

“I did. But you weren’t serious. You want to lay with me.”

“If that were true, you would not have needed to wait until now. Kelenbah, son of Wachdo, I hereby place you under detention. You will be brought before the Council to account for your crime.”

“What crime?” Kelenbah mocked.

“It is against family law for any male to kiss a woman such as you have done without her express permission. That you are married to another makes it worse. That I am married to another makes it worse again. That you confessed intent was to lay with me makes it even worse yet.”

“I think not. You fail to realize is your charges will not stand without witnesses. Furthermore, you do not get out without my permission. And like I said, you don’t get it until you are with my child. My child. You are going to lay with me, Tavaar.”

“Do you think you can make me? Did you not stay to listen to the end of Mehngen’s story? I think not, little man.”

“I will have you if I have to get four to hold you down while I do it! And don’t think I can’t have that done. Now, I would rather it be gentle and wonderful. We can still lay together now. I am willing to forget what just happened. It will be wonderful. I promise. No one will ever know. I won’t even tell Gwihnna. Just say yes and I will give you your child. We can lay as often as you want. What do you say?”4

“If I say no?”

Kelenbah sighed. “Tavaar, I am through waiting. We are going to lay together. Tonight. To enjoy it, you have but to say yes. But I warn you: I already have my four. They suggested it to me, but I turned them down. I wanted it to be beautiful for both of us. But you leave me no choice. Say no again, and you will be held down. Then I will fulfill our destiny. Of course, the others will want their turns. I believe that was their thinking. We will repeat the process until you are with child – with, or without, your consent. Don’t say no, Tavaar. Say yes, and it will be just you and me. What do you say?”5

“That you are very picturesque in your options. However, you forget, Kelenbah, that I have placed you under detention. You are in no position to threaten anything.”

“Weren’t you listening?” Kelenbah snarled. “You need witness to prove them. Where are you going to find witnesses out here?”

“I will be a witness.”

Kelenbah started as Wheylin broke through the shrubbery to stand at Tavaar’s left. She took his hand and kissed him.

“Thank you, dear,” she said.

Kelenbah pointed an accusing finger. “Married couple! That won’t work. I’ll deny everything. I’ll say you’ve had it in for me. They will never believe you.”

“Oh, I think they will,” said Sashwa, coming and taking a place at Tavaar’s right. “And just in case you don’t think they will believe me either, there are others.”

Suddenly, nearly a dozen warriors entered the clearing, surrounding Kelenbah and cutting off his escape. Kelenbah looked like a cornered animal, wringing his hands.

“Take hold of him,” said Tavaar, and two grabbed Kelenbah’s arms. She started for him, but Wheylin stopped her.

“Let me,” he said.

She nodded.

Wheylin’s face was set with an anger Tavaar had never in her life seen upon it before. He walked to Kelenbah and undid his belt, removing his weapons. He drew out the knife.

“Do you know what I am thinking of doing with this?” Wheylin asked, waving the knife before him. Kelenbah’s eyes were wide with fear.

“Wheylin!” said Tavaar.

“Leave him be!” said Sashwa, moving forward to stand beside her brother. “He has the right idea.”6

“He is our prisoner now. That means we have duty to him.”

“We certainly do,” said Wheylin.

“Wheylin!”

Sashwa turned to Tavaar in anger. “We heard his threat, Darling. Do you think we’re just going to stand here and let him get away with that?”

“Yes. Yes, I do.”

“Why? Tell me! Why should we?”

“Because you love me. Because it is what I want.”

All went quiet, save for the wind. All eyes were on Tavaar. Wheylin had turned his back to Kelenbah. He nodded his head and put Kelenbah’s knife back into its sheath. Then he turned back to the prisoner.

“You are lucky, Kelenbah. I do love my wife, and so I will do as she says. However, in return, you will do something for us.”

“Wh – What do you want?”

“Who are the four who approached you with the plan to hold Tavaar down so you could have your way with her?”

“I – I can’t tell you that.”

Sashwa, who hadn’t taken her eyes of Tavaar, now turned to Kelenbah. She had new resolve. “Oh, yes you can, Kelenbah. Those beasts are not going to remain in hiding to threaten her again. I love her, too. And because I love her, I am going to do whatever it takes to find out who they are. Now, tell us who they are!”

“Tavaar! I am your prisoner. You can’t let them hurt me.”

Tavaar stood calmly. Her manner was gentle, but stern.

“I do not know that I can stop them, Kelenbah. Before, it was a simple matter of revenge. Now it has become the elimination of a threat. You would probably do well to tell us now. You will have to tell the Presider anyway.”

Kelenbah hesitated. He looked from face to face, but Sashwa was impatient. She reached for the weapons belt Wheylin held

“Give me that knife! Wheylin, take down his britches.”

“No! I’ll tell! I’ll tell!”

“Then get on with it,” said Sashwa.

Kelenbah took a quick breath. “Velitz. Bushan. Mohrtive. Liyvor.”

Tavaar listened to the revelation without visible reaction. But inside, she felt sick to her stomach. Velitz and Mohrtive she knew to have always been close to both Gwihnna and Kelenbah. They were deeply involved, as were their wives. But Bushan was a surprise. She knew he had been part of this, but she had thought he still liked her. And Liyvor had been in her arms only three years ago. His involvement was like treason.

“What do we do now?” asked Ahzbah.

“We take him back to camp and tell everyone he is under detention,” said Tavaar.

“Do we tell them why?” asked Wheylin.

A pause. “Yes. It is the only way they will accept it.”

“What do we do about the others?” asked Sashwa.

Tavaar hesitated. This part was unexpected. What should they do? What could they do? Technically, the evidence against them was weak. All they had was Kelenbah’s word to confirm their threat. The Council might not accept that as enough. This had become complicated.

“Tavaar, we have to do something,” said Wheylin.

“Wheylin’s right, Darling. Kelenbah said they came to him with the plan. That makes them dangerous, even if Kelenbah is gone. They want to hurt you, Darling. I’m not going to let that happen. If I have to, I’ll kill them.”

Tavaar’s eyes went wide. “Sashwa, our evidence is weak. You would be committing murder. You could be put to death for that.”

“It would be worth it to know you are safe.”

“Sashwa’s right,” said Wheylin. “I will kill them.”

“And me,” added Ahzbah.

Several others made the same vow. Tavaar didn’t know what to do. They were all committing themselves to a path of self-destruction in order to protect her. But she needed them all with her, not put to death for loving her. How could she make them understand?

She was again interrupted from her thoughts. This time it was from the sound of someone running heedlessly through the forest. They were drawing nearer. Tavaar thought she could guess who it was. Her guess was confirmed when Gwihnna burst through the surrounding hedge. Seeing Kelenbah held by two warriors and deprived of his weapons, she ran forward and forced him from the hands of his captors. She pushed him behind her and stood defiantly between him and the others. She drew her sword.

“If you want him in detention, you must kill me first,” she said.

Sashwa and Wheylin drew swords. Several others did, too. Tavaar walked forward to position herself between Gwihnna and the others. She did not draw her weapon.

“You are ready to die for him?” she asked.

“I am, if that is what it takes to save him.”

“Dying will not save him.”

“Then the trick is to not die then.”

“If you fight, you will die.”

“Who will kill me? You?”

“Yes.”

Something made Gwihnna hesitate. Perhaps it was Tavaar’s matter-of-fact manner. Perhaps there was an earnest coldness in her voice. In any case, Gwihnna did not attack.

“Why die? What do you hope to gain?” Tavaar asked.

“I will keep him free,” said Gwihnna. “I will take him away. We will begin our family. He will not be imprisoned.”

“He has already been placed under detention,” said Tavaar. “And your plan assumes you can escape. You cannot. Look at the warriors before you. This is not the way to save him, Gwihnna.”

Gwihnna started to speak, but caught herself. She had apparently intended to address them all, but now she focused on Tavaar.

“You have something in mind,” she said.

“I do.”

“Tell me. What is it you are planning now? Or is it a continuation of the other?”

“You believe this was a plan?”

“I do. I knew you were up to something. That is why I have tried to stay close to Kelenbah: to keep him out of your trap. But tonight we were apart. When I came into camp and found you and him gone, I knew you were going to trap him. I ran as fast as I could, but I was too late. What did you do?”

“I did nothing, Gwihnna. He trapped himself.”

“You led him on! You encouraged him.”

“As did you. And others. But encouragement does not relieve him of the responsibility of choice. I have been encouraged to behave the same way, Gwihnna. So have others. Kelenbah is caught because he was eager to behave wrongly. Let me tell you what has happened here. Kelenbah can confirm or deny my words.”

Gwihnna nodded and Tavaar began. She omitted no detail. When she spoke of Kelenbah’s threats, Gwihnna looked as though she had been struck. She turned to Kelenbah, as if willing him to deny the charge, but his guilt covered him like an odious slime. Finally, Tavaar finished.

“So. You had these others waiting? You knew what would happen?”

“I suspected.”

“You made it happen, you know?”

“No, Gwihnna. I accept responsibility for arranging this, but he made his choice. He could have stopped at any time. He should have stopped when I told him to.”

Gwihnna was silent. Then she lowered her weapon. “So, what are you proposing?” she asked.

“First, tell me: do you still want him?”

Gwihnna turned and looked at Kelenbah. He made an unattractive and pitiful sight. His face was tearstained, and he shook with fear. Then, he started to smile, but instead bowed his head and wept. Gwihnna turned back. She was crying.

“I love him,” she said. “I have always loved him. I know what he’s done, but I’m to blame as much as he. Punish me, not him! I love him. You can’t understand.” She bowed her head and wept.

“Of course I understand,” said Tavaar. “You love him. I accept that. Very well. Take him and go.”

Gwihnna’s head snapped up. Kelenbah continued to weep as if he had not heard. The others began complaining. Tavaar held her hand up for silence.

“You will just – let us go?” Gwihnna asked.

“Conditionally.”

“What condition?”

“First, you and Kelenbah will leave the military – tonight. You will take your accomplices with you.”

“Then who will command?” Gwihnna asked, suspiciously.

“Kelenbah can appoint someone before you leave.”

Gwihnna seemed surprised by this response. “Very well. What else?”

“I am releasing Kelenbah to your authority. You had it before and you gave it to him. I hope you see now that that did not work. You must see to it he behaves henceforth. Should he make any action toward anyone, he will be brought before the Council. His life will rest in your ability to keep him under control. Can you do it this time?”

“I can. I will. I promise.”

“Very good. Kelenbah! Stand forth.”

Kelenbah came forward slowly. As he did, Gwihnna covered him with her arms and stood at his side, protectively.

“Kelenbah, your very life may hang on a thread now. You know there are several here who would like nothing better than to kill you outright? Considering your plan for me, the Council just might choose to punish them lightly, or not at all. You deserve the worst of punishments, and I shall no doubt be severely criticized for not ensuring it. But this woman loves you. She came here to die for you. She has always lived for you, albeit foolishly, up to now. Are you willing to live under her care? Will you live with a woman who loves you? Or must you still look to the horizon?”

Kelenbah made to speak, but was not able. He nodded his head.

“He will,” said Gwihnna.

“That is not good enough. He must say it so I can hear it.”

Kelenbah worked his mouth, but he was not able to properly speak. In the end, he had to shout. “I will!” he cried. He fell against Gwihnna and she held him tight, cooing soft words of love and comfort.


I'm not happy with this passage. In fact, the entire Kelenbah thing failed to go well, and by this time I was glad to be rid of it. And Kelenbah. He remains for one more passage, and then he is gone.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors