Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tavaar - 31st Edition

Took a bit of a sabbatical. Hope no one minds. Since no one posts comments I expect not.

We return to Tavaar in the forest. She has been keeping her intimacy with Wheylin a secret from all but Sashwa and Ahzbah. Meanwhile, she has been unabashedly flirting with Kelenbah, to Kelenbah's delight. But she has yet to give him anything physical. Gwihnna now decides to challenge Tavaar on her behavior. Using the ruse of an unusual sound, Gwihnna takes Tavaar alone to investigate.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

“I think this is far enough,” said Tavaar. “I doubt they can hear us now.”

Gwihnna stopped and turned, smiling appreciatively. “So, you have guessed my real intent, have you?”

Tavaar made a sound of disgust. “You insult me, Gwihnna. There is not a sound this forest can make that you could possibly hear before me when I am standing near. I heard no sound to investigate.”

“You are still a young soldier. I am a lieutenant. My experience…”

“Hardly compares to mine. I’ve been a hunter far longer than you have been a soldier. You wanted another private talk. Well, you got me out here. What did you want to discuss that couldn’t be said in camp?”

“I suppose you think you are being clever with Kelenbah, and that you have found a way to keep him at bay? But just how long can you keep up the charade, Tavaar?”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, girl! Now you insult me. Did you really think I am so stupid I cannot see through your game?”

“I thought it possible.”

“Do not think to disarm me with your coy remarks. Unlike that idiot friend of yours, I find no allure in your coquettish attitude. She’s drawn to you well enough. I venture she gets more from you than her brother. Perhaps I should have Kelenbah take lessons from her. We might end this quietly.”25

“Watch what you say about Sashwa.”

“Did I offend? Or just touch a nerve? Either way, I am sorry, dear. No, I just thought I should let you know I am not fooled.”

“Why do you think I’m trying to fool you? I thought it was Kelenbah, not you, I’m supposed to lay with.”

“Watch your mouth, girl. How you talk (and behave) with your friend is your business. But I won’t tolerate it. But think. If I am not fooled, how can you hope to fool Kelenbah?”

“I seem to be doing well enough.”

“At the present, yes. However, you are only delaying the inevitable.”

“You still think it’s going to happen?”

“Oh, girl! Your behavior is making that certain. Why do you think we have not separated you and your loving friend? A short time of teasing and pretending and you are both excited. Now Sashwa, of course, can take pretty much anyone she wants to satisfy her desire. But what about you? Not only do you refuse to touch Kelenbah, but you refuse yourself the pleasure of any male – including your husband. Do not deny it. I know. Just last moon you humiliated him in front of the entire camp. Sooner or later, even he will end your sham marriage. A real man would have already. But, perhaps, a real man is what you are after. You surprise me, Tavaar, with your stupidity. You think to confuse with your flirting, and so keep control. But you are digging your own trap. Between your friend’s attentions and your temptations of Kelenbah, all you are doing is creating a pressure which must eventually break.”

“I’m doing okay.”

“Okay? Girl, you are already beginning to give in.”

“You see pretending as giving in?”

“I do when I realize the person you are really trying to fool is yourself. You tell yourself you are just doing this to keep Kelenbah at bay. He is going to become your master.”

“Like he has yours? Gwihnna, you started this. You can end it. Take Kelenbah and leave the military. You have both served you time. Start your family and forget about this.”

“I can’t. Not until he gets it out of his system. And he won’t until he completes the act. Then all will be well. It is you. I have seen it. And now that I’ve told him, he thinks of you always. You are going to have his child, Tavaar. Once that happens, he will again be mine.”

“Gwihnna, that is just insane.”

“I can wait. Did I not tell you I did not expect it in the first year, or even the second? But you are already slipping, girl. It is going to happen. You are going to bear a child, and it will not be Wheylin’s. I have seen it.”

Gwihnna’s insistence on pushing the premonition made Tavaar uneasy. She found herself doubting Bolar and Sashwa’s reassurances and believing Gwihnna’s correction. She snapped in anger.

“How do you know it’ll be Kelenbah’s? Maybe it’ll be someone else’s.”

“Who’s? That little friend of yours? She would if she could. I believe that. You, too. No, Tavaar. It will be Kelenbah. There is no other. Come on. Let’s go back.”

Tavaar hesitated. Her plan was working. Gwihnna had convinced her of that. But she was unsettled because Gwihnna had also succeeded in making her doubt herself. Was she destined to have a baby which wasn’t Wheylin’s? It wouldn’t be Kelenbah’s. That she knew. But there was another who’s image entered her thoughts often, especially when she lay with Wheylin. But he wouldn’t. There was no way it could happen. Was there? She shook herself free of her concerns. She had to rid herself of this image. That was all. And the best way to do that was to focus all the more on Wheylin. He would get better. He would.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors