Friday, February 6, 2009

Tavaar - 33rd Edition

The gaps in days is due to illness. Couldn't be helped. Sorry.

Thought there would only be one more Kelenbah scene. That's probably true, but I forgot about the scene before it. Don't worry. We're just about done with this difficult phase. After this Tavaar's life becomes interesting again. However, I'm not convinced I'll continue. We'll see.

Formatting: Text notes; Text narrative; Blog notes.

Tavaar led them back to camp. Kelenbah called in the sentries. He then announced he was leaving. He gave no explanation. He only indicated that he would not be going alone.

“Who will be in charge? Velitz? Mohrtive?” asked Bushan.

“No. Velitz and Mohrtive are coming with me,” said Kelenbah.

“Then who will command until you return?”

Kelenbah looked around. His eyes passed over his lieutenants and fell upon Tavaar.

“Tavaar will command,” he said.

Everyone was startled, including Tavaar. Velitz got to his feet and hurried to Kelenbah’s side.

“Captain, she is just a soldier. Surely, a lieutenant…”

“I said Tavaar, and Tavaar it is! Now, pack up. You and your wife. You, too, Mohrtive.”

While murmurs and glares filled the camp, Tavaar went to Kelenbah.

“Why did you pick me?” she asked.

Kelenbah looked at her. “Because you are the best. There is no other choice. You see? I am already wiser than I was.”

“Why have you only named Velitz and Mohrtive?”

“The plan was mainly theirs. Bushan and Liyvor merely agreed to it. Besides, you are going to need experienced help until replacements arrive. We are scheduled to defend against a test.”

Kelenbah walked away toward his sleeping area. Tavaar watched him go and then turned to where Bushan and Hohlva, his wife, stood talking with Velitz, Mohrtive, Mesha and Kafliha. They quit speaking when she arrived.

“I suppose you know what this is about?” said Velitz.

“I do,” she said, coldly.

“Then perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us?” said Mohrtive.

“You will hear soon enough, I’m sure,” said Tavaar. She turned to Bushan and Hohlva. “Pack your things. You are leaving with them.”

“Kelenbah gave no such order,” said Hohlva.

“An omission. But you are leaving.”

“Why?” demanded Hohlva.

Tavaar looked her in her eyes. “Ask your husband. You had best begin packing.”

She glanced around the camp, ignoring the looks and quiet whispers which surrounded her. She saw what she was looking for and walked to where Liyvor sat with Fahrmayn, his wife. She stood before them and they looked up.

“Will you excuse us, Fahrmayn? Liyvor and I must speak.”

Fahrmayn looked ready to protest, but Liyvor touched her and told her it was all right. Fahrmayn got up and walked away, but not too far. She looked back nervously as Tavaar sat beside Liyvor. They did not look at each other. Tavaar’s gaze was forward. Liyvor’s head was bowed.

“So, were you to hold an arm or a leg, Liyvor? Where you to go second, or last? Tell me.”

His head came up. His face was ashen. He looked entirely stricken. This, more than anything, told her Kelenbah’s words were true. He had been in her arms. She had courted him once.

“Tavaar – I – I…”

“You will be leaving tonight, Liyvor. Take Fahrmayn with you. I will leave it to you to tell her why.”

She started to rise, but he took hold of her arm with both hands. She looked at her arm and he let go immediately. She remained seated.

Liyvor wept.“Tavaar, I’m sorry. Please, forgive me. Please!”

“I forgave you when I was told, Liyvor. That is not why you are being sent away. I am sending you away because you are not a good warrior, and I need good warriors, Liyvor.”

“I’m a lieutenant, Tavaar. I am good enough. You can count on me.”

“No, Liyvor. I cannot count on you, and you are not a good warrior. A good warrior would not have agreed to do what you agreed to do. You have my forgiveness. I will seek no personal recourse against you. But as commander of this company I cannot keep you here. I am not the only one who knows. There are others who would like nothing better than to kill you for your part in the plan. If you stay, they will. Get you gone, Liyvor. I do not expect to see you again.”

Tears were falling fast and free down Liyvor’s face. He nodded and got up. He walked away without another word.

Tavaar sat quiet. There were no tears on her face. She was surprised by this. Liyvor had once meant much to her. His treachery hurt. But already she was taking on the role of company leader. With so much of its leadership leaving now, the company would be cast into despair. They may not all like her, and many, if not all, were likely to believe they could guess why Kelenbah chose her, but they would all be looking to her for leadership and strength. She would give it to them. Kelenbah was right: she was the best.

Wheylin and Sashwa arrived. Wheylin sat at her left and Sashwa at her right.

“They are all leaving?” asked Wheylin.

“Yes. You, or Sashwa, would only kill them if they stayed.”

“True enough, Darling. They had best hurry or I might anyway,” said Sashwa. "You know what the whisperers are saying?”

“That Kelenbah put me in command because I finally let him lay with me.”

“Yes. Darling, I think you are going to wish you weren’t so benevolent. You should have kept him under detention at least long enough for all to know.”

Tavaar shook her head. “I could never have let him go, then.”

“Well, why did you? We had him, Darling. We still do, if you will just change your mind. We could have made him pay for what he has done; to you and to others.”

“Sashwa’s right,” said Wheylin. “You shouldn’t have let him go, Tavaar. This was our chance for revenge.”

Tavaar smiled sadly and patted their legs.

“Thank you both. I know your hard and unforgiving words stem from your love for me and what has been tried. But, my dearest loves, it is not about revenge. Nothing can make up for what has been done. To cling to our anger will only lead to hate, and that will kill us in the end. No. To make him pay is to make everyone suffer. Everything becomes known. To punish Kelenbah is to bring shame upon all. I will not allow it. No. I can let him go without a thought.”

Sashwa and Wheylin grunted their acknowledgment. Tavaar gave Sashwa’s knee a squeeze.

“I have put it behind me. You let it go, too. Okay? And you.”

“Very well. If you are happy, I am happy,” said Wheylin.

“Seems a shame to let him off so easy,” said Sashwa.

“He will not go unpunished. Not now,” said Tavaar. “His own conscience is going to punish him for a very long time.”

Wheylin sneered. “Conscience? Do you really think he has one?”

“He didn’t. But he does now.”

“Oh? And just where and when did this miracle take place?” asked Sashwa.

“When he watched Gwihnna stand ready to give her life for him. Did you not see his face? I don’t think he ever understood how much she loves him. Now that he does, he must live not only with the grief of what he has done, and tried to do. He must also live with the knowledge of the pain he has caused the only woman who loves him more than life itself. He can never amend for that. I am glad I am not him.”

“Or Gwihnna,” added Sashwa. They all laughed.

“But what of your reputation?” asked Wheylin. “They all believe you lay with him. When that reaches the villages, you may find yourself an outcast.”

“No. That will not happen, my love. Too many people have too many reasons for keeping all that Kelenbah did a secret.”

“But you said it wasn’t a secret. You said Bolar told you everyone knows.”

“Everyone guesses,” said Tavaar. “Officially, no one knows. That is how this will play out. There will be no official action. There is too much to gain by doing nothing, and too much to lose by doing what is right.”

“There may not be any official response, but people won’t pretend they don’t know what they think they know.”

“Wheylin’s right, Darling. This is going to hurt you. The whole family is going to believe you lay with Kelenbah to buy his command. And conscience or not, I seriously doubt he will do much to correct them.”

“Not everyone will believe it. I know the truth. You both know what really happened. There were others with us. They know what happened. Both tales will ultimately spread through the family. Some will believe the truth; some will believe the lie. Some may dismiss both as wicked gossip. I believe that those who know me – who love me – will stand with me.”

“Well, you know you can count on us,” said Wheylin.

Tavaar gave him a kiss. “I do. Now, it looks like we are down to two lieutenants: Aersha and Nayvehl. I believe Nayvehl is senior.”

“He is,” said Sashwa. “He also likes Kelenbah. Aersha doesn’t. She has resisted all of Kelenbah’s advances.”

“Well, we are going to have to reset our watch. Wheylin, go hunt down Nayvehl and tell him I wish to see him.”

“Nayvehl? Are you sure?” Wheylin asked.

Tavaar smiled at him. “That is an order, dear.”

Wheylin smiled back. “Very good. I hear and obey.”

They watched him walk away.

“Go ahead. Say it,” said Tavaar.

“Okay. Are you sure you can trust Nayvehl? How do you know he wasn’t part of the plot? Or perhaps he’s part of another?”

“Perhaps, perhaps. We know nothing except he is loyal to Kelenbah.”

“Well?”

“Sashwa, I can’t send warriors away just because they like Kelenbah. Without proof of misdeed, I must keep them. For one thing, we are going to need them. Kelenbah told me we are scheduled to defend against a test.”

Sashwa sighed. “Well, I guess I see your point. They deserve the right to prove themselves one way or the other. I just hope we don’t find they are disloyal at an inopportune time.”

“All times are inopportune for disloyalty.”

“As I said. But, I am loyal. What would you have me do?”

Tavaar looked at her. “Stay with me.”

Sashwa smiled and touched Tavaar’s cheek. “Always, Darling. I am always there for you.”

They kissed. Tavaar turned and saw Nayvehl walking toward them. He looked surly. Upon arriving, he made no acknowledgement. He just began to speak.

Captain Kelenbah wants you at his hut.”

He turned to leave.

“Lieutenant! I sent for you. Did not Wheylin find you?”

“He did. But I didn’t come because I was called. I came because I was sent.”

Once again her turned to leave. Tavaar didn’t hesitate. She jumped to her feet. Sashwa got up with her.

“Lieutenant! Get back here.”

Nayvehl stopped and turned back. Clearly, he didn’t want to, but the power of Tavaar’s voice held him.

“Lieutenant, you will walk away when I have dismissed you, and not before. Is that clear?”

“You aren’t in command yet. The captain is still in camp.”

I am in command, Lieutenant. The captain has given it to me.”

“Yes. It’s easy to guess why, too. Everyone is saying it: you lay with him to get command.”

“Are you merely informing me of what you have heard, or are you telling me what you believe?”

Nayvehl hesitated. His courage and resolve were faltering. “It is what they are saying.”

“I see. And what about you, Lieutenant? Do you believe it?”

Nayvehl didn’t answer. He appeared to not want to at all, but Tavaar held him in the strength of her will.

“Whether I do or not, I will not say so.”

“Excellent, Lieutenant. I realize this has been an evening of shock, but it appears your wits are returning to you at last. Regarding what I did, or did not do, you are free to believe what you will. However, I will not tolerate any undermining of my position. If you wish to believe me guilty, fine. But be careful how you speak and act. Is that clear?”

“Yes… Forgive me, but how do I address you?”

Tavaar paused and thought. “You may call me Lady Tavaar.”

“That is hardly a title of distinction. She at your side is granted the same title, yet she does not command.”

“A valid point. However, despite my being in command, I am neither captain or lieutenant.”

“Were you not a sub-commander in the village defense?”

She gave Nayvehl an appreciative smile. “Very well, Lieutenant. You may call me Sub-Commander.”

“Then, Sub-Commander, let me answer your question by stating it is clear.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant. Now, to my second point. When you address me, or speak of me to the others, you will do so with respect. It is not befitting for a second in command to do otherwise. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Sub-Commander. But…”

“But what?”

Nayvehl looked at Sashwa. “You called me second in command. I thought…”

“A natural misunderstanding. Lady Sashwa will be our chief scout. I do rely on her much, but you are ranking officer. Kelenbah should have turned command over to you. As he did not, you will be next after me until such time that new captain arrives. Does that meet with your approval?”

Nayvehl’s expression was one of surprise, suspicion and delight. “Very good, Sub-Commander.”

“Finally, as to why I summoned you. As soon as Kelenbah leaves with the others, choose six for guard duty. Keep the watches close to camp. Have the watches rotate every two turns. I doubt Kelenbah assigned any of the departing to cooking duty.”

“He did not.”

“Then keep the current choice for today. Wheylin and Sashwa will cook tomorrow. Figure that into your watch rotation. Alternate the cooking duty daily hereafter. Everyone will have their turn. This will include both you and I. No one is to repeat the duty until all have had their turn. Clear, Lieutenant?”

“Clear, Sub-Commander.”

“Very good. You have your orders, Lieutenant.”

“Very good, Sub-Commander.”

Nayvehl marched away toward where most of the company sat waiting for supper.8

“So, chief scout, huh?”

Tavaar smiled. “You also thought I would make you second?”

“No. Not really. But you are a better woodsman than I.”

“I can’t command and scout both.”

“As to that, I’m surprised you didn’t turn command over to Nayvehl.”

Tavaar turned. “I did not ask for command. However, I am not giving it up.”

“Just teasing. I know you won’t. But are you sure you did well in making him second? Why not choose someone who you know to be loyal, such as Wheylin or Ahzbah?”

“It will not do for me to promote my friends when they are not the correct choice. Neither Wheylin or Ahzbah is ready to be second.”

“You made me chief scout.”

“You are fit for that. With me in command, there is none better suited.”

“There are still others who are loyal to you.”

Tavaar shook her head. “This is not about loyalty to me, Sashwa. It is about loyalty to the family. Nayvehl may not like me, or even respect me, but I believe he is loyal. He will do his duty.”

“You may be right. Look! If I am not mistaken, he is putting an end to the gossip.”

Tavaar couldn’t suppress her smile. Sashwa was right. Nayvehl was giving a small group of warriors a full dressing down. It seemed her instincts regarding him were correct. Very good. One problem solved.

“He will not put an end to it. No one can do that now. But he will force it back to the shadows where it belongs. Well, I guess I had best go find out what Captain Kelenbah wants.”

“Do you want me to go with you?”

“No. All danger in this matter has passed. Find some place to relax.”

Sashwa grinned. “Very good. I hear and obey.”

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors