Monday, June 1, 2009

Potential

One of the beautiful things about the creation of The Great Sea is that it allows for a myriad of stories which have absolutely nothing to do with the Main Saga, which is Madatar's struggle to take possession of what was promised him.

There is a Troll story I want to tell, but that is probably going to become part of the Saga. There are tales from the Kingdom of Azua, but they indirectly point to the Saga, too.

But there are other worlds. Other creatures. Did you know that the Deltumler live in the ocean, and that their most hated enemy are the Sharogues? Both actually made an appearance in the original sequel to The Prophecies of Madatar, which was one of the Saga's earliest manifestations.

There are the Centaurs, the Pennans, the Nomads, and the orginal Men who populated the first giant world. And what of the Dragons and the Unicorns? At one time I thought about doing stories for all of these beings. Only I put it all on hold because I deemed the stories without a base if I could not get the Saga published.

The truth is, Apprentice and Quest could very easily take place on The Great Sea. Neither story has anything to do with Madatar.

Renaming this blog has reminded me that I have a host of stories to tell which are not based in any fashion or form upon the epic fantasy of my life's work.

The problem I have is I don't really understand online publishing at all, and that appears to be where short stories are going to have to be submitted in order to receive publication. Perhaps I should continue my Kiahva stories in hopes of finding a place for her. At the same time I could include a story or two about Dragons, Dwarfs, communities of Men on other worlds. All of this would build a base from which even the Saga could rise.

It's something to think about.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors