Monday, June 8, 2009

Kadassa, Tahk and Brills

Kadassa, Tahk and Brills
by Bevie James

Kadassa lived in the lowland hills, with her husband, Tahk, and his sister, Brills.
Her husband worked in the forest deep, while the cabin she and Brills did keep.
Kadassa worked a garden plot, while Brills she hunted and was gone a lot

Villagers seldom came that far, for the lowland hills were very far

Sometimes the women came to town, but Tahk he never came around
Some felt sorry for the women there, alone in the cabin with all their cares

But Kadassa said she was just fine, ‘cause her and Brills could toe the line

Two years later I chanced to come, to their cabin at the setting sun
I told them I was heading west, and they gave me food and a place to rest

I was told about her husband, Tahk, who hunted now and was gone a lot

Kadassa fixed a bed of hay in the barn where she said I could stay
In the morning I was first to rise, and through their window I saw their lies

There was no husband as she’d said, it was just those two who shared the bed

I understood why they should lie, to even me, a passerby
So I pretended I did not know, and spoke no word and prepared to go

But as I turned to walk away, Kadassa had something to say

She thanked me for my manners well, and that she knew I would not tell
I smiled and kissed both her and Brills, and walked off then into the hills

Sometimes I see them in my sleep, and when I do I often weep

How sad that lovers hid must be, it’s like a prison when they should be free
And so they live there in the hills, Kadassa and her lover, Brills

2 comments:

laughingwolf said...

bloody brilliant, bevie :)

Bevie said...

Thanks. I like this one.

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors