Sunday, July 5, 2009

Shoring Up the Background

Well, that idea didn't last long. On just my second random person (Uhahna, an Unaligned born East Village during the year 230) I became confronted by the need to know more background history than I've established. So, I'm taking the big plunge and returning to developing the miscellaneous background information. I'm beginning with military history, but I'm hoping to get some duty work accomplished at the same time.

It's not going to be easy and it is going to be time consuming. I've more than 6,000 characters spanning 3-1/2 centuries of time. What I must do is establish when each and every one of them entered military service, when they received whatever promotions they did, and when they left.

This is complicated by the fact that the family has a policy that parents of children under five cannot serve, and at least one parent must remain at home until children reach sixteen. So, even the best warriors would exit military service to begin their families and not return until their youngest reached the age of five. Then they would return. But in the meantime, they had to have duty. What would it be? It would vary with their line, their village, and their skill with the flamesword.

Lots of work.

I'm kind of looking forward to it. I've already begun. Did you know that there are 22,238 records just for the ARTS line? DEFENSE, the largest line, has 58,279 records. Got these statistics from the Yearly Archive table, which contains no less than 541,348 records.

Like I said. A LOT of work.

2 comments:

laughingwolf said...

holy crap, bevie, how many lifetimes do you have to compile all this?

Bevie said...

Haha! I know. I've completed the first phase of military history and am now in Year 3 of assigning warriors to specific companies with rank. Only 350 years to go.

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors