Sunday, October 11, 2009

Things to Do for Fun

I like maps. I use them to help me in world building.

World building is fun. It is personally satisfying. It is also a lot of work, if one wishes to do it well.

Often, for me, the beginning of a new world begins with a new map. Like the one below. The map below only shows a portion of a world. There is a vast mountain range stretching from west to east. South of it is an even greater forest area, and a huge lake with seven rivers flooding it, and one draining.


What I might add next would be something to the north. Perhaps a coastal area? Rivers would flow from the melting glacial ice caps to the sea. There would be others which cut into the forest. After establishing the geography I would begin to add settlements. Coastal towns, and villages along river routes. Perhaps roads would be cut, connecting major villages.Having done all of that, the easy part is over. Now it is time to figure out just who lives in this place. Are they woodsmen? Fishermen? Whalers? Are they warlike? How far have they progressed technologically. Are they one kind of people, or are various races represented?

Eventually what must be determined is the main character. Who is the specific woman (man/creature/being) to develop a story? And importantly, what is their conflict?

But that's what happens when the world begins with a map. Just as often I begin with a character, a conflict, and a need to find a place in which this character can resolve their conflict. When this happens, the actual map is drawn later, if at all.

I like maps. But I don't always use them. Many of my stories have no world map. Some have no map at all. And many of my maps have no story. But I like maps.

No comments:

Today's Music



Yeah. That's The Great Sea all right.

Contributors